Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by John Gateley <ga...@jriver.com> on 2008/02/06 14:41:07 UTC

Linux GUIs

Hi,

I'm looking for experiences with GUIs for Subversion (Ubuntu linux).
Any comparisons or preferences for Subcommander, rapidSVN, eSvn.

I use (and am very happy with) TortoiseSVN on Windows.

John Gateley <ga...@jriver.com>

Re: Linux GUIs

Posted by John Gateley <ga...@jriver.com>.
On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 11:12:52 +0100 (CET)
Marko Kaening <mk...@mch.osram.de> wrote:

> > > esvn: bug in the repo browser: garbage data on the righthand side
> > > when you are browsing a folder that only contains other folders.
> >
> > Just wanted to say that I do like esvn very much. It has an easy to use
> > and quite powerful interface. Nice revision graphs. A quite good differ. I
> > did not see the bug you're reporting here, but I'll try to reproduce it on
> > my system (SuSE 10.2). Though, I admit that I had some crashes, but never
> > lost any file.
>
> Ooops, only now noticed that I did not mean esvn, but kdesvn instead.

We're in agreement then :)

John Gateley <ga...@jriver.com>

Re: Linux GUIs

Posted by Marko Kaening <mk...@mch.osram.de>.
> > esvn: bug in the repo browser: garbage data on the righthand side
> > when you are browsing a folder that only contains other folders.
>
> Just wanted to say that I do like esvn very much. It has an easy to use
> and quite powerful interface. Nice revision graphs. A quite good differ. I
> did not see the bug you're reporting here, but I'll try to reproduce it on
> my system (SuSE 10.2). Though, I admit that I had some crashes, but never
> lost any file.

Ooops, only now noticed that I did not mean esvn, but kdesvn instead.

Marko

Re: Linux GUIs

Posted by Marko Kaening <mk...@mch.osram.de>.
> esvn: bug in the repo browser: garbage data on the righthand side
> when you are browsing a folder that only contains other folders.

Just wanted to say that I do like esvn very much. It has an easy to use
and quite powerful interface. Nice revision graphs. A quite good differ. I
did not see the bug you're reporting here, but I'll try to reproduce it on
my system (SuSE 10.2). Though, I admit that I had some crashes, but never
lost any file.

In sum I think that this is a promising tool, worth trying. [ Subclipse
might be also great, but it requires the whole eclipse environment and
therefore that java monster is just an overkill for my 7years old PIII,
which is why I stick to emacs, bash and esvn. :( ]

TortoiseSVN is my favourite under Windows, but it is also not 100%
perfect. The caching of overlay icons seems to be a big problem and drives
me nuts quite often, since it does not work reliably. (TortoiseCVS is much
better in that respect.)

Apart from that I think a standalone solution is always better (like
WinCVS under Windows)! This is especially valid for Linux, where you have
so many different file browsers. One can not expect that the community
implements the full functionality of TortoisSVN for all these tools at
the same quality level...

Given that, esvn is not a bad choice after all!

Regards,
Marko

P.S.: I also tested kdesvn a couple of months ago, but for some reason
(don't remember what it was what bugged me at the time) I decided that
esvn is much better and sticked to that.

Re: Linux GUIs

Posted by John Gateley <ga...@jriver.com>.
On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 13:04:24 -0600
John Gateley <ga...@jriver.com> wrote:

> subcommander: bug in the repo browser: I clicked on a folder, tried
> to Import, and the commit window that came up didn't contain my
> file selections.

I may have been mistaken about this one. It may have had the
single entry ".", which would have been correct (I didn't actually
try the import). But, I'd expect a GUI to show me the files too.

John Gateley <ga...@jriver.com>

Re: Linux GUIs

Posted by John Gateley <ga...@jriver.com>.
On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 00:09:18 +0100
"marc gonzalez-carnicer" <ca...@gmail.com> wrote:

> kdesvn is quite nice, but in my opinion, tortoise (for windows only) is
> nicer (or at least, i enjoyed it more). in linux i have ended up using
> command line with some wrapper scripts for kdiff3.
>

> 2008/2/7, kmradke@rockwellcollins.com <km...@rockwellcollins.com>:
> >
> > Not used it, but there is an integration in kde (if that is your
> > environment):
> > http://kdesvn.alwins-world.de/

I had initially skipped kdesvn because it is advertised as "quite
tightly integrated with KDE" and I'm using Gnome. I gave it a try
and was quite impressed. Intuitive interface, and quick.

John Gateley <ga...@jriver.com>

Re: Linux GUIs

Posted by marc gonzalez-carnicer <ca...@gmail.com>.

Re: Linux GUIs

Posted by Jean-Claude Antonio <jc...@arcetis.com>.
Hi,
I ended up using Subclipse under Ubuntu.
JClaude

kmradke@rockwellcollins.com a écrit :
> John Gateley <ga...@jriver.com> wrote on 02/07/2008 01:04:24 PM:
>
>> On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 08:41:07 -0600
>> John Gateley <ga...@jriver.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I'm looking for experiences with GUIs for Subversion (Ubuntu linux).
>>> Any comparisons or preferences for Subcommander, rapidSVN, eSvn.
>>>
>> Thanks for the suggestions. For what it's worth, here's what I
>> found. All were tested from Ubuntu Gutsy packages, not from the
>> latest version source.
>>
>> RapidSVN: it's okay. I found a bug in the import procedure. I don't
>> really like the interface (bookmarks).
>>
>> TkCVS: I didn't like this one, it's overkill (I only need SVN, not
>> CVS). Starting the repo browser crashed because CVS wasn't installed
>> (and I couldn't easily figure out how to browse an SVN repository).
>>
>> esvn: bug in the repo browser: garbage data on the righthand side
>> when you are browsing a folder that only contains other folders.
>>
>> subcommander: bug in the repo browser: I clicked on a folder, tried
>> to Import, and the commit window that came up didn't contain my
>> file selections.
>>
>> I'd really like something like TortoiseSVN, something that integrated
>> with the ubuntu file browser. But for now, because of the presence
>> of bugs, I'll stick with the command line. Sigh...
>>

> Not used it, but there is an integration in kde (if that is your
> environment):
> http://kdesvn.alwins-world.de/
>
> Kevin R.

Re: Linux GUIs

Posted by km...@rockwellcollins.com.

Re: Linux GUIs

Posted by John Gateley <ga...@jriver.com>.
On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 08:41:07 -0600

RE: Linux GUIs

Posted by "Fouts Christopher (QNA RTP PT PREV)" <Ch...@qimonda.com>.
TkCVS (works for SVN too) works well. http://www.twobarleycorns.net/tkcvs.html

Not completely GUI, but I changed the default diff command of the command line svn to kdiff3, so diff's and merges are done GUI, all other operations are done command line. In this way I have control, but still a good grasp on diffs and merges.

Take a look at [1] and search for svndiffwrapper.

Hth,

Nick Stolwijk

[1] http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/Subversion.html

Posted by ni...@planet.nl.