Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Fan Shao <ra...@yahoo.com> on 2008/05/01 11:17:11 UTC

el-api confusion

Hi,

I am lately very confused with the el-api and its implementations when using
Tomcat 6.0, MyFaces 1.2, Facelets 1.1.

It's said JavaEE 5 has an unified EL, so I reckon Tomcat 6.0 has the EL
implemented. And I indeed found el-api.jar in its shared "lib" directory.
And I also found a "jasper-el.jar". Is this an implementation for the
el-api.jar?

There is also a commons-el under apache foundation. Its website says it's an
implementation of the EL for JSP2.0. So what's the difference between this
impl and the jasper-el.jar within Tomcat 6.0 distribution?

I also noticed Facelets 1.1 requires EL implementation. I downloaded its zip
file and found a el-api.jar, and the .class files of this jar are different
from the one within Tomcat 6.0. So the question is who is maintaining the
el-api, and what are its versions?

Please could someone help me out. Thanks in advance!

Fan

Re: el-api confusion

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
I believe that the unified El in Tomcat 6, in Facelets, and in
Glassfish are all from the same original source -- Jacob Hookum.   The
Glassfish and Tomcat versions have probably diverged by now, and
facelets originally used the Glassfish version, back before the
codebase upgraded from Java 1.4 to 1.5.   So the older version you
find in older distributions of Facelets will work in a Java 1.4
environment (Ie, JSF 1.1), but I'd expect both of the "updated"
versions at Tomcat and Glassfish to require Java 1.5  (JSF 1.2).

I may have some of the details wrong, though.

Re: el-api confusion

Posted by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com>.
El-API is the API.  Jasper, I think is the impl.  The EL packages in
facelets are needed for pre-jsp 2.1 containers so facelets can be used
in any environment that JSF 1.1 can be used in.  The facelets website
tells you how to configure facelets to use the unified el.  I don't
know what commons-el is.