Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Jose Manuel Vega Monroy <jo...@williamhill.com> on 2019/07/25 05:52:02 UTC

Re: [EXTERNAL] Handling of inter.broker.protocol.version and lo.message.format.version after upgrading

Hi Sebastian,

Recently we upgraded exactly from same version to that version, and you need just two rolling restarts if you want two keep same log format version, or three to upgrade that version too.

Personally, I would recommend you to keep those properties, for example you could keep the current log format version for compatibility with old clients versions.

Cheers,

Posted by Sebastian Schmitz <se...@propellerhead.co.nz>.
Hi Manuel,

thanks. I did the three rolling restarts, or in my case three
deployments of containers with different config... But the question now
is if I should do these three restarts each time I update to latest
Kafka or if I now just change both versions to latest one without having
to do three restarts as it's just a small change and not two major versions.
I already upgraded Kafka itself from 2.1.1 to 2.3.0 in the meantime, but
still use 2.1-IV2 as Version for the log.message.format and
inter.broker.protocol... So should I do two more deployments with each
one changing one version at a time or just bump everything up to 2.3-IV1
in one go for next config-change-deployment?

Thanks

Sebastian