Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org> on 2007/02/10 00:18:42 UTC

log4net on Gump?

Going through the Incubator exit criteria for log4net and one of the
criteria was "integrated with GUMP if appropriate".  Thought it would
be a long shot, but quickly saw that Gump attempts but fails to build
NAnt and successfully builds dotnet-antlib.   At least it appears
that the Mono tools are in place.  Can you provide any guidance on
building log4net on Gump?  For example, would it be more expedient to
write an Ant build script for log4net instead of trying to get the
NAnt building and use the existing NAnt build script?

Re: log4net on Gump?

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 9 Feb 2007, Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org> wrote:

> Going through the Incubator exit criteria for log4net and one of the
> criteria was "integrated with GUMP if appropriate".

This is a pretty strange requirement, I don't think it has ever been
enforced (since we don't support Maven2 and Maven2 doesn't support
Gump this would rule out quite a few podlings).

> Thought it would be a long shot, but quickly saw that Gump attempts
> but fails to build NAnt and successfully builds dotnet-antlib.  At
> least it appears that the Mono tools are in place.

There is an older version of Mono installed on VMGump, but not on
gump.zones.apache.org (I never managed to build Mono on Solaris).  I'm
a bit reluctant about upgrading Mono on vmgump since the machine is
(again) pretty low on disk space.  There is hope for a beefier
machine.

> Can you provide any guidance on building log4net on Gump?

I'm also subscribed to the log4net list (I'm mostly doing .NET
development in real live these days) and saw Nicko's remark about parts
of log4net requiring Windows to build.  Some appenders probably
require stuff that isn't available under Mono.

> For example, would it be more expedient to write an Ant build script
> for log4net instead of trying to get the NAnt building and use the
> existing NAnt build script?

Personally I'd love to see a Gump-built testcase for the dotnet Antlib
by building log4net, but think it would put too much of a burden on
the log4net folks.  NAnt is the more natural choice for log4net and
there once was a time where we managed to build it.  We probably only
need to figure out what is wrong with NAnt right now - but I'm afraid
I don't have the bandwidth to do that ATM.

Stefan