Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by ram <ra...@netcore.co.in> on 2008/01/04 13:57:23 UTC

New credit card scams .. how to catch these

https://ecm.netcore.co.in/tmp/dinner.eml.txt

The scam works like this:

They send you a mail asking wether you accept credit cards at your
hotel

They get you to confirm you will accept credit card for payment. Once
you agree they ask you to bill them extra fictional charges for taxis,
etc on the card, and then wire transfer back (a portion) of the
fictional overcharges. The victim thinks he will make some extra free
money on top of the dinner charges.

The people never show for dinner, and you are out the wire transfer
amount.

And my SA scores nothing on this spam ?

Thanks
Ram

Re: New credit card scams .. how to catch these

Posted by Luis HernĂ¡n Otegui <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Ram,

2008/1/4, ram <ra...@netcore.co.in>:
> https://ecm.netcore.co.in/tmp/dinner.eml.txt
>

> The scam works like this:
>
> They send you a mail asking wether you accept credit cards at your
> hotel
>
> They get you to confirm you will accept credit card for payment. Once
> you agree they ask you to bill them extra fictional charges for taxis,
> etc on the card, and then wire transfer back (a portion) of the
> fictional overcharges. The victim thinks he will make some extra free
> money on top of the dinner charges.
>
> The people never show for dinner, and you are out the wire transfer
> amount.
>

> And my SA scores nothing on this spam ?

Well, after doing a little "spamassassin -r < dinner.eml.txt", I get this:

 pts rule name              description
 3.5 BAYES_99               BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 99 to 100%
                            [score: 1.0000]
 2.0 FREEMAIL_REPLYTO       From and Reply-To point in different freemail
                            addresses
 3.7 PYZOR_CHECK            Listed in Pyzor (http://pyzor.sf.net/)
 2.2 DCC_CHECK              Listed in DCC (http://rhyolite.com/anti-spam/dcc/)
 0.0 DIGEST_MULTIPLE        Message hits more than one network digest check

> Thanks
> Ram

Pretty decent, eh? My discard threshold is at 8.0, so I guess it's
only a matter of time before these get caught, if you have network
tests enabled...

Luis

GNU-GPL: "May The Source Be With You...
Linux Registered User #448382.
When I grow up, I wanna be like Theo...

Re: New credit card scams .. how to catch these

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
ram wrote:
> https://ecm.netcore.co.in/tmp/dinner.eml.txt
>

> The scam works like this:
>
> They send you a mail asking wether you accept credit cards at your
> hotel
>
> They get you to confirm you will accept credit card for payment. Once
> you agree they ask you to bill them extra fictional charges for taxis,
> etc on the card, and then wire transfer back (a portion) of the
> fictional overcharges. The victim thinks he will make some extra free
> money on top of the dinner charges.
>
> The people never show for dinner, and you are out the wire transfer
> amount.

Hmm, that looks like a highly targeted variant of a 419 scam. ie: it
only works against resturant owners, and only those who agree to engage
in shady (and possibly illegal) credit transactions.

I think for now your best bet is hash based systems like razor, etc.

We may have to start looking for this to generalize, i.e. targeting a
variety of businesses and people, but right now there's not really
enough to generate rules based on. In particular, I'd be uncomfortable
deploying rules right now as most of the text looks like it could occur
in a legitimate reservation request, so it might be better to target the
follow-on emails that attempt to get them to engage in credit fraud.

> And my SA scores nothing on this spam ?

That's not too surprising. This is a fairly new scam, and there's
nothing in there that jumps out as "spam like".