Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by ZHANG Huxing <hu...@alibaba-inc.com> on 2016/11/09 02:04:52 UTC

About the link to changelog.html in tomcat.apache.org

Hi,

I have two concerns about the link to changelog in tomcat site index page.

In http://tomcat.apache.org, the link to changelog.html varies in different tomcat version:

9.0.0.x: http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-9.0-doc/changelog.html#Tomcat_9.0.0.M11_(markt)
8.5.x: http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.5-doc/changelog.html#Tomcat_8.5.6_(markt)
8.0.x: http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/changelog.html#Tomcat_8.0.38_(markt)
7.0.x: http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/changelog.html
6.0.x: http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/changelog.html

from 8.0.x above, a fragment named "Tomcat_xxx_(author)" has been appended.

My first concern is, should these url be kept consistent?

Secondly, for 9.0.x and 8.5.x, the changelog.html does not contain any fragment matching "Tomcat_xxx_(author)", while the changelog.html of 8.0.x does matches. Either the changelog.html or the link should be fixed.

Thanks,
Huxing

Re: About the link to changelog.html in tomcat.apache.org

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 09/11/2016 02:04, ZHANG Huxing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have two concerns about the link to changelog in tomcat site index page.
>
> In http://tomcat.apache.org, the link to changelog.html varies in different tomcat version:
>
> 9.0.0.x: http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-9.0-doc/changelog.html#Tomcat_9.0.0.M11_(markt)
> 8.5.x: http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.5-doc/changelog.html#Tomcat_8.5.6_(markt)
> 8.0.x: http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/changelog.html#Tomcat_8.0.38_(markt)
> 7.0.x: http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/changelog.html
> 6.0.x: http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/changelog.html
>
> from 8.0.x above, a fragment named "Tomcat_xxx_(author)" has been appended.
>
> My first concern is, should these url be kept consistent?

It isn't too important for the front page. Where it really matters in
the old news pages where we want to the links to jump to the right part
of the changelog for the older releases.

Ideally, we want each changelog link to jump to the right part of the
changelog for all the older releases.

> Secondly, for 9.0.x and 8.5.x, the changelog.html does not contain any fragment matching "Tomcat_xxx_(author)", while the changelog.html of 8.0.x does matches. Either the changelog.html or the link should be fixed.

Looks like I never bothered to add my id. I'll fix that shortly.

I can start reviewing the links. I'll start with 9.0.x announcements and
work backwards. I'm not sure how big a job that will be so any help welcome.

Mark