Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Salikh Zakirov <Sa...@Intel.com> on 2006/07/17 14:50:19 UTC

[drlvm] Status of drlvm

Hi,

Can anyone share their experience on running DRLVM built from SVN?

On my workstations, it requires several fixes in order to run properly:

HARMONY-898 'workaround to get correct hythr.dll' (both for Linux and Windows)
HARMONY-853 'DRLVM+classlib segfaults in hyzlib' (on Linux)

Without HARMONY-898, DRLVM segfaults after reading NULL from TLS.
Without HARMONY-853, DRLVM segfaults in libhyzlib.so on Linux.

I would suggest that the patches from HARMONY-898 and HARMONY-853 be applied,
because DRLVM doesn't work at all for me without these fixes.

Any other experiences? Is anyone besides me running DRLVM from SVN?

Re: [drlvm] Status of drlvm

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.
Salikh,

I'm using drlvm built from svn.
I was not quite sure did I apply any patches or not so I've made a
diff between my repository and Harmony svn... The only difference
shown is the class lib path in build.xml.

So it works OK on my Windows machine without any patches.

SY, Alexey

2006/7/17, Salikh Zakirov <Sa...@intel.com>:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone share their experience on running DRLVM built from SVN?
>
> On my workstations, it requires several fixes in order to run properly:
>
> HARMONY-898 'workaround to get correct hythr.dll' (both for Linux and Windows)
> HARMONY-853 'DRLVM+classlib segfaults in hyzlib' (on Linux)
>
> Without HARMONY-898, DRLVM segfaults after reading NULL from TLS.
> Without HARMONY-853, DRLVM segfaults in libhyzlib.so on Linux.
>
> I would suggest that the patches from HARMONY-898 and HARMONY-853 be applied,
> because DRLVM doesn't work at all for me without these fixes.
>
> Any other experiences? Is anyone besides me running DRLVM from SVN?

Alexey A. Petrenko
Intel Middleware Products Division

Re: [drlvm] Status of drlvm

Posted by Andrey Chernyshev <a....@gmail.com>.
Apparently segfault disappears if one replaces the "hyzlib" library
(which is compiled from re-distributed zlib at
modules\archive\src\main\native\zlib_dist) with the "natural" libz
which comes with the Linux installation (I'm using GCC 3.3.4 as well).
It seems there is still a conflict between drlvm which is linked to
libz.so and classlib which is linked to libhyzlib.so even if the
workaround HARMONY-853 is applied.

To use the natural zlib on Linux, I did the following:
- removed $(DLLPATH)libhyzlib.so entry in MDLLIBFILES across
classlib's makefiles
- added  LDFLAGS = -lz to archive/linux/makefile.
- changed #define HY_ZIP_DLL_NAME to be "z" in
archive/src/main/native/include/shared/zipsup.h

Do people believe this is a right way to go?
Note that for Windows, we'll have either to :
- keep zlib compiled from zlib_dist, or
- download the binaries via "ant fetch-depends" similarly to the drlvm
build (it can be taken from http://www.zlib.net/zlib123-dll.zip).

What will be the preferences? I would stick to the second approach
since recompiling zlib seems to be an odd work.

Thanks,
Andrey.

Re: [drlvm] Status of drlvm

Posted by Nataly Naumova <na...@gmail.com>.
Vladimir,

Re: [drlvm] Status of drlvm

Posted by Vladimir Gorr <vv...@gmail.com>.
Nataly,

Re: [drlvm] Status of drlvm

Posted by Nataly Naumova <na...@gmail.com>.
Vladimir and all,

Re: [drlvm] Status of drlvm

Posted by Vladimir Gorr <vv...@gmail.com>.

Re: [drlvm] Status of drlvm

Posted by Vladimir Gorr <vv...@gmail.com>.

Re: [drlvm] Status of drlvm

Posted by Vladimir Gorr <vv...@gmail.com>.

Re: [drlvm] Status of drlvm

Posted by Andrey Chernyshev <a....@gmail.com>.

#0  0x40788aa2 in malloc_consolidate () from /lib/tls/libc.so.6
#1  0x00000010 in ?? ()
#2  0x4083c7c8 in main_arena () from /lib/tls/libc.so.6
#3  0x00000000 in ?? ()
#4  0x4083c7b4 in main_arena () from /lib/tls/libc.so.6
#5  0x4083c798 in main_arena () from /lib/tls/libc.so.6
#6  0x4083c780 in __malloc_initialize_hook () from /lib/tls/libc.so.6
#7  0x4083aff4 in ?? () from /lib/tls/libc.so.6
#8  0x0855cdd0 in ?? ()
#9  0x00037230 in ?? ()
#10 0x56500158 in ?? ()
#11 0x40789bf6 in _int_free () from /lib/tls/libc.so.6
Previous frame inner to this frame (corrupt stack?)

I'm continuing investigation, the same behavior is observed on Linux
if run with classlib's launcher.

Thanks,
Andrey.

> Thanks,
>
> Vladimir.

Andrey Chernyshev
Intel Middleware Products Division

Re: [drlvm] Status of drlvm

Posted by Vladimir Gorr <vv...@gmail.com>.

Re: [drlvm] Status of drlvm

Posted by Weldon Washburn <we...@gmail.com>.
On 7/17/06, Salikh Zakirov <Sa...@intel.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone share their experience on running DRLVM built from SVN?
Removing classlib from drlvm build is a big improvement.  At this
point, I develop only on windows.  No recent experience with the Linux
build.  ant seems to have intermittant problems with windows file
paths that have blanks in them.  The error messages are very vague.
For example, "set JAVA_HOME=c:\Program Files\jdk..." causes strange
problems.

> On my workstations, it requires several fixes in order to run properly:
>
> HARMONY-898 'workaround to get correct hythr.dll' (both for Linux and Windows)
> HARMONY-853 'DRLVM+classlib segfaults in hyzlib' (on Linux)
>
> Without HARMONY-898, DRLVM segfaults after reading NULL from TLS.
> Without HARMONY-853, DRLVM segfaults in libhyzlib.so on Linux.
>
> I would suggest that the patches from HARMONY-898 and HARMONY-853 be applied,
> because DRLVM doesn't work at all for me without these fixes.

I don't see the segfaults.  It might be because the initial port of
MMTk does not involve threads.

> Any other experiences? Is anyone besides me running DRLVM from SVN?

Getting the debugger to single step through unoptimized jitrino.jet
code shows the build system needs some work.  I don't want to plunge
into fixing make files until I have more experience with the build
system but it definitely needs fixing!

Weldon Washburn
Intel Middleware Products Division

Re: [drlvm] Status of drlvm

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Salikh Zakirov wrote:
> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

>> I'd like to see us figure out the hythr problem, since 898 is a hack to
>> just work around what seems to be an important issue.  can we grind this
>> one out?
>
> A couple of words in defense of HARMONY-898.
> The classlib doesn't depend on a particular hythr implementation.
> In fact, it depends on hythr *interface*, which must be implemented
> somewhere in the system. At the same time, classlib provides its
> own hythr implementation.
>
> DRLVM itself reimplements the subset of hythr interface, thus making
> possible interoperation with classlib, but doesn't uses classlib's hythr implementation.
>
> So, this is not the case of "classlib wants hythr1, and drlvm wants hythr2, and hythr1 and hythr2 conflicts".
> In fact, this is "classlib wants some hythr, and provides hythr1. DLRVM provides hythr2, and conflicts with hythr1".
>
> Thus, IMHO, the issue is not as important as it may seem, because there is no
> issue on "who provides hythr", but there is an issue of competing hythr implementations,
> one of which comes with with DRLVM and works with it, and the other probably works with J9 (I have never checked it myself).

This is darn important.  We have two implementations of the same thing,
and based on build order, we get differing results.  Clearly, one
implementation is *wrong*.

Either :

0) Classlib implements hythread in entirety, and VM uses that.

1) Classlib implements hythread and maybe asks the VM to provide
implementations for some stubs (like we do w/ kernel classes for the
classlib)

2) Classlib depends entirely on the VM to provide.

If there's a difference of opinion on how it should be implemented, or
what functionality should be in there, lets have this out and sooner
than later...

geir

Re: [drlvm] Status of drlvm

Posted by Salikh Zakirov <Sa...@Intel.com>.
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>> Without HARMONY-898, DRLVM segfaults after reading NULL from TLS.
>> Without HARMONY-853, DRLVM segfaults in libhyzlib.so on Linux.
>
> Odd - I don't think I have those problems, since the tests that do run
> pass on my box.  Adding a test to show this would be good.

The hythr issue is not predictable, and may or may not work
properly. I think that you've got correct hythr in deploy directory,
and haven't done any rebuilds since then. Or maybe the build
system chooses which hythr to take in some magic manner,
that I cannot grasp.

The easiest way to reproduce hythr issue on Windows (that's how I've come
across it) is to check out and build fresh classlib, and rebuild
DRLVM incrementally.

In any case, having two hythr.dlls copied to a single locations is
definitely a case of race condition with unpredictable result.

> I'd like to see us figure out the hythr problem, since 898 is a hack to
> just work around what seems to be an important issue.  can we grind this
> one out?

A couple of words in defense of HARMONY-898.
The classlib doesn't depend on a particular hythr implementation.
In fact, it depends on hythr *interface*, which must be implemented
somewhere in the system. At the same time, classlib provides its
own hythr implementation.

DRLVM itself reimplements the subset of hythr interface, thus making
possible interoperation with classlib, but doesn't uses classlib's hythr implementation.

So, this is not the case of "classlib wants hythr1, and drlvm wants hythr2, and hythr1 and hythr2 conflicts".
In fact, this is "classlib wants some hythr, and provides hythr1. DLRVM provides hythr2, and conflicts with hythr1".

Thus, IMHO, the issue is not as important as it may seem, because there is no
issue on "who provides hythr", but there is an issue of competing hythr implementations,
one of which comes with with DRLVM and works with it, and the other probably works with J9 (I have never checked it myself).

> The zlib seems reasonable, I guess.

Thanks.

Re: [drlvm] Status of drlvm

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Salikh Zakirov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone share their experience on running DRLVM built from SVN?
>
> On my workstations, it requires several fixes in order to run properly:
>
> HARMONY-898 'workaround to get correct hythr.dll' (both for Linux and Windows)
> HARMONY-853 'DRLVM+classlib segfaults in hyzlib' (on Linux)
>
> Without HARMONY-898, DRLVM segfaults after reading NULL from TLS.
> Without HARMONY-853, DRLVM segfaults in libhyzlib.so on Linux.

Odd - I don't think I have those problems, since the tests that do run
pass on my box.  Adding a test to show this would be good.

I'd like to see us figure out the hythr problem, since 898 is a hack to
just work around what seems to be an important issue.  can we grind this
one out?

The zlib seems reasonable, I guess.

> I would suggest that the patches from HARMONY-898 and HARMONY-853 be applied,
> because DRLVM doesn't work at all for me without these fixes.

I'll do the second, and maybe you can convince me to do the first :)
But we really should figure this out.  If classlib needs one, and drlvm
needs another, we have a problem...

> Any other experiences? Is anyone besides me running DRLVM from SVN?

There's no other way to run it since we don't distribute a binary yet.
That would be a good to do this week.

geir