Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Simon Knight <sk...@hotmail.com> on 2003/11/07 01:50:27 UTC

Apache access slows down

When checking out the repository using http the checkout gets slower and
slower until it takes several tens of seconds per file.  In the end I have
to kill svn.  I waited once to see if it would complete, but gave up after
several hours.  This does not happen when using svnserve, it finishes in
about 5 minutes (big repository).  Interestingly, once this has happened
with http, svnserve is also slow.  If the repository is restored from a
backup then it all speeds up again, but if the repository is recovered using
svn admin, its still slow.

I have been ignoring this problem for a while, but I just installed httpd
2.0.48 and it still happens.  Originally it was suspected that the problem
was a dual cpu machine and DB4, but I have a new fast single cpu box now.

I am using svn 0.32.1.

Any ideas?

Re: Apache access slows down

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
"Simon Knight" <sk...@hotmail.com> writes:

> When checking out the repository using http the checkout gets slower
> and slower until it takes several tens of seconds per file.  In the
> end I have to kill svn.  I waited once to see if it would complete,
> but gave up after several hours.  This does not happen when using
> svnserve, it finishes in about 5 minutes (big repository).
> Interestingly, once this has happened with http, svnserve is also
> slow.

Does it remain slow if you stop httpd, making sure all the
threads/processes are killed?

> If the repository is restored from a backup then it all speeds
> up again, but if the repository is recovered using svn admin, its
> still slow.

The db_stat utility shows information about the Berkeley database.
Perhaps you could compare numbers before and after a slowdown.  Start
with a "fast" repository, run a few svn:// checkouts and then run
db_stat to get some "before" numbers.  Compare these with values after
an http:// checkout.  Try things like

  db_stat -e -h path/to/repo/db
  db_stat -c -h path/to/repo/db
  db_stat -l -h path/to/repo/db