Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by K Anand <ka...@yahoo.com> on 2004/03/05 05:24:03 UTC

[users@httpd] proxypass problem

We are using apache 1.3.xx to redirect some of the
requests that our main
server gets to another internal server. We are using
ProxyPass and
ProxyReversePass for this . when the request is being
sent to the internal
server from the main server, the HTTP headers that the
client has sent to
the main server
are being replaced. We have mod_gzip running on the
internal server. Since
the headers are getting changed (HTTP/1.0 and
accept-encoding is not coming
from main server), mod_gzip is not compressing. Is it
possible
for the main server to forward the headers that it has
got to the internal
server or do we need to run mod_gzip on the main
server itself.

TIA.

Anand

Re: [users@httpd] proxypass problem

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

K Anand wrote:

> We are using apache 1.3.xx to redirect some of the
> requests that our main
> server gets to another internal server. We are using
> ProxyPass and
> ProxyReversePass for this . when the request is being
> sent to the internal
> server from the main server, the HTTP headers that the
> client has sent to
> the main server
> are being replaced. We have mod_gzip running on the
> internal server. Since
> the headers are getting changed (HTTP/1.0 and
> accept-encoding is not coming
> from main server), mod_gzip is not compressing. Is it
> possible
> for the main server to forward the headers that it has
> got to the internal
> server or do we need to run mod_gzip on the main
> server itself.

You don't mention exactly what version of 1.3, but I know that some 1.3
versions are strictly HTTP/1.0 proxies, and other versions are HTTP/1.1
on the server end but HTTP/1.0 on the server end.  I'm not sure about
the most recent version, since I haven't tested it.

Apache 2.0, on the other hand, is HTTP/1.1 on both sides of the proxie.
  So you might consider upgrading and seeing if that fixes the problem.

Joshua.