Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by John Austin <jw...@bigfoot.com> on 2001/12/11 22:15:15 UTC

documentation/9053: FAQ Item

>Number:         9053
>Category:       documentation
>Synopsis:       FAQ Item
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I read the newsgroup comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix regularly and have noticed an issue that comes up at least once a week. Users install a Linux distro that includes ipchains or some equivalent firewall/masquerading service and are surprised that they can not reach the Apache server that was set up on the Linux box.

Debugging this should start with basic network connectivity tests like 'ping 192.168.1.123', ping 'www.mysite.net' and 'telnet 192.168.1.123 80'.

Related tests would include running 'netstat -pant' on the Linux host to show that the httpd server is actually in the 'LISTEN' state.

Tests would then proceed to the examination of the server's log files. You might also wish to point to some of the useful programs that can be used to look at the HTTP headers as they come and go. I have read (most of) Core Servlets and JavaServer Pages by Marty Hall and found some excellent items in that book. His WebClient.java and EchoServer.java programs would be very useful in debugging Header contents problems. If you know of equivalent programs in C/C++, Perl or the like, they would be useful to mention in the FAQ as well.

I would like to see an addition to the FAQ that addresses the issue of the debugging sequence.

 [to include <ap...@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and make sure the]