Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by ch...@hyperreal.com on 1997/04/07 04:49:04 UTC

Changed information for PR mod_proxy/279

Synopsis: Spaces in file and directory names fool ftp proxy in Apache

State-Changed-From-To: open-feedback
State-Changed-By: chuck
State-Changed-When: Sun Apr  6 19:49:03 PDT 1997
State-Changed-Why:
Can you give an example of an FTP site that delivers spaces
in directory or file names? Thanks.

Re: Changed information for PR mod_proxy/279

Posted by Leos Bitto <bi...@kolej.mff.cuni.cz>.
On Sun, 6 Apr 1997 chuck@hyperreal.com wrote:

> Synopsis: Spaces in file and directory names fool ftp proxy in Apache
>
> State-Changed-From-To: open-feedback
> State-Changed-By: chuck
> State-Changed-When: Sun Apr  6 19:49:03 PDT 1997
> State-Changed-Why:
> Can you give an example of an FTP site that delivers spaces
> in directory or file names? Thanks.

Hey, I think this really isn't the correct question. You know that it is
possible to have space in directory or file name and that Apache ftp
proxy doesn't handle it well. It should be enough to fix it! Or you will
be like Microsoft and hope nobody will mention it?

If you want example, I've just created it, here it is:

ftp://ftp.kolej.mff.cuni.cz/pub/unix/apache/*

                                                         Leos Bitto
                                                  <bi...@kolej.mff.cuni.cz>

Re: Changed information for PR mod_proxy/279

Posted by Chuck Murcko <ch...@topsail.org>.
Marc Slemko wrote:

> You can try ftp://ftp.worldgate.com/pub/marcs/ for an example.
>
> the proxy gives:
>
> -rw-------   1 986   wheel      0 Apr  7 02:52 file with <A HREF="ftp://ftp.worldgate.com/pub/marcs/spaces">spaces</A>
>
> In real life, there are more and more servers doing things this way,
> especially those hosted on NT boxes.  Unfortunately, however you do it you
> will run into problems with some names.

Makes a compelling argument for rewriting the FTP proxy as a transparent
proxy. Thanks. We'll see what can be done.
--
chuck
Chuck Murcko

Re: Changed information for PR mod_proxy/279

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>.
On Mon, 7 Apr 1997, Chuck Murcko wrote:

> Marc Slemko wrote:
> >
> > You can try ftp://ftp.worldgate.com/pub/marcs/ for an example.
> >
> > the proxy gives:
> >
> > -rw-------   1 986   wheel      0 Apr  7 02:52 file with <A HREF="ftp://ftp.worldgate.com/pub/marcs/spaces">spaces</A>
> >
> > In real life, there are more and more servers doing things this way,
> > especially those hosted on NT boxes.  Unfortunately, however you do it you
> > will run into problems with some names.
> >

> Try this patch and see if it works. It's also going to the reporter
> of the PR.

The patch works on servers I care about, but...

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/

<sigh>

ISTR that there is work going on in some wg or another to standardize a
directory listing method, but until that happens... whatever you do will
be broken.  May want to check into what Squid does.

Re: Changed information for PR mod_proxy/279

Posted by Leos Bitto <bi...@kolej.mff.cuni.cz>.
On Mon, 7 Apr 1997, Chuck Murcko wrote:

> Marc Slemko wrote:
> >
> > You can try ftp://ftp.worldgate.com/pub/marcs/ for an example.
> >
> > the proxy gives:
> >
> > -rw-------   1 986   wheel      0 Apr  7 02:52 file with <A HREF="ftp://ftp.worldgate.com/pub/marcs/spaces">spaces</A>
> >
> > In real life, there are more and more servers doing things this way,
> > especially those hosted on NT boxes.  Unfortunately, however you do it you
> > will run into problems with some names.
> >

> Try this patch and see if it works. It's also going to the reporter
> of the PR.
> --
> chuck
> Chuck Murcko
> The Topsail Group, West Chester PA USA
> chuck@topsail.org

I've just tried it. I looks better but still is buggy. It creates
something as:

<A HREF="ftp://ftp.some.host/dir/file with spaces">file with spaces</A>

which it is supposed to create, I think. After clicking on the link you
will get something as:

File Not Found

The requested URL ftp://ftp.some/host/dir/file was not found on this
server.

It should create this:

<A HREF="ftp://ftp.some.host/dir/file%20with%20spaces">file with spaces</A>

When you request ftp://ftp.some.host/dir/file%20with%20spaces you will get
the correct file.

When you request "ftp://ftp.some.host/dir with spaces" you will get again
the same errror - ftp://ftp.some.host/dir not found. (" with spaces" again
truncated). But when you request
ftp://ftp.some.host/dir/dir%20with%20spaces, you will get nearly the
perfect directory listing, but it has the following title:

ftp://ftp.some.host/dir/dir%20with%20spaces

But I think it should be

ftp://ftp.some.host/dir/dir with spaces

(this isn't serious - it works, but it can confuse the user - he wants
"dir with spaces" and gets "dir%20with%20spaces").

                                                         Leos Bitto
                                                  <bi...@kolej.mff.cuni.cz>

Re: Changed information for PR mod_proxy/279

Posted by Chuck Murcko <ch...@topsail.org>.

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>.