Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Daniel M Garland <da...@titanemail.com> on 2005/11/09 11:35:35 UTC

Live change strategy

Hi all,

I was wondering whether any Tapestry web masters out there had any
thoughts on the day-to-day running of a Tapestry-driven website. I want
to change a HTML template or page specification what are my options on
doing this?

For example, I want to add a button to a navigation bar. To do this I
need to
1) Add the HTML for the button to the template, including the JWC reference
2) Add the necessary bindings to the page specification

I've heard of a reset service but I can't find much documentation / help
on this. Is it possible to change the web application while its running
or do I have to either re-build / re-deploy it (yuk) or restart tomcat?

--

Dan Garland
------------------------

Re: Live change strategy

Posted by Daniel M Garland <da...@titanemail.com>.
Hi there,

I've been doing some more reading on the reset-service and I read many
posts by people who say its generally a good idea to leave the reset
service disabled after deployment.

Trouble is, there are also a load of posts sayings that disabling the
cache is a bad idea, alleged memory leaks and the like. Also, what is
the default setting for disable-cache? I'm hoping its false....

Does this mean that I simply have to restart Tomcat everytime I need to
make a change?

Thanks
Dan

Inge Solvoll wrote:
> This means you'll have to restart the application anyway, because you
> have to restart the server to get toggle on and off the reset service...
> So for your needs, this is no good I guess?
>
> I found it very useful to use the reset service instead of the
> disabling-cache feature during development, because of the slow page
> load when cache is disabled.
>
> Alexandr Kundirenko wrote:
>

>> DMG> Hi Alexandr
>>
>> DMG> Where do I set this option you mention?
>>
>> Set it as Java VM argument for your application server configuration.
>>
>> DMG> Also, I presume this will mean that anybody can reset a page in
>> DMG> Tapestry, whats stopping someone using a DoS attack on the reset
>> service?
>>
>> You can disable it for production.
>>
>> DMG> Dan

Dan Garland
------------------------

Re: Live change strategy

Posted by Inge Solvoll <ta...@ingenett.com>.

Re[2]: Live change strategy

Posted by Alexandr Kundirenko <ak...@gmail.com>.

Re: Live change strategy

Posted by Daniel M Garland <da...@titanemail.com>.
Hi Alexandr

Re: Live change strategy

Posted by Alexandr Kundirenko <ak...@gmail.com>.
Hello Daniel,

Enable reset service adding this option:
-Dorg.apache.tapestry.enable-reset-service=true

Usage: http://localhost:8080/appName/app?service=reset&page=PageName

--
aku

Re: Live change strategy

Posted by Richard Clark <rd...@nextquestion.net>.
Assuming this is a regular production website, if you're just
changing the HTML and/or .page file, you can make the changes then
either restart Tomcat or reload the app within Tomcat. Be aware that
if the app came from a WAR file that deploying a newer WAR file will
overwrite your changes.

Tapestry defaults to reading the HTML once and caching the result,
which is why you need to restart (Tomcat) or reload (the app). As far
as I know, the reset service won't erase Tapestry's cache, so it's
not really an option.

Developers typically run with this caching disabled and can make live
changes to the pages, at the expense of decreased performance.

  ...Richard