Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au> on 2001/10/15 05:35:29 UTC

LinkAlarm for xml.apache.org/cocoon2/

As part of our company's contribution to the wonderful
Apache Cocoon, we are going to pay for automated
regular link verification of the website at
xml.apache.org/cocoon2/

Of course, it is up to all of cocoon-dev to actually fix
the links - IndexGeo will help to identify them.
The first report is available at:
http://reports.linkalarm.com/209176687132/

I find that the easiest way is to use the left-hand panel
to go directly to the error listings. e.g. "404 File Not Found".
Also, links.broken.txt is useful and very direct. You can also
download a copy of the full report, if you find online
browsing to be a pain too.

The next run would be after RC2 - though it could be run
sooner if an interim docs upload is deemed necessary.

This run also covered cocoon2/javadocs/
Next run will probably be excluding that, which will
bring the total number of pages down.

Some strange errors are extracted below. The remainder
are normal broken links.

1) missing images/dot.gif ... from many docs
probably a stylesheet issue
-----
http://xml.apache.org/cocoon2/images/dot.gif
http://xml.apache.org/cocoon2/
404     Not Found
-----

2) strange link to email address ...
here is one example out of 8:
-----
http://xml.apache.org/cocoon2/apidocs/org/apache/cocoon/reading/bloritsch@apache.org
http://xml.apache.org/cocoon2/apidocs/org/apache/cocoon/reading/DatabaseReader.html
404     Not Found
-----

3) xsp-internals.html has many broken links to javadocs
e.g.
-----
http://xml.apache.org/cocoon2/javadocs/org/apache/cocoon/generators/Generator.html
http://xml.apache.org/cocoon2/xsp-internals.html
404     Not Found
-----

4) there is an amazing amount of mailto: links identified.
Is this really necessary?

Re: LinkAlarm for xml.apache.org/cocoon2/

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> > David Crossley wrote:
> > >
> > > As part of our company's contribution to the wonderful
> > > Apache Cocoon, we are going to pay for automated
> > > regular link verification of the website at
> > > xml.apache.org/cocoon2/
> >
> > Uh, that's nice! We should setup a credits page for these sort of
> > donations.
>
> Thanks anyway, however we do not need that. I wonder if it is
> even appropriate. Many people make contributions in varied ways.
> Where is the acknlowdgement line drawn?

Good point.

> > > Of course, it is up to all of cocoon-dev to actually fix
> > > the links - IndexGeo will help to identify them.
> > > The first report is available at:
> > > http://reports.linkalarm.com/209176687132/
> >
> > Again, this should be written someplace in CVS so we don't forget.
>
> Good idea - i considered BugZilla but rejected it. I think CVS
> is appropriate. We actually need more than just to record the
> URL for the LinkAlarm report.
>
> We also need to streamline the effort of repairing the breaks.
> I propose a simple text table, based on the summary that is
> provided by LinkAlarm. In this way, all of cocoon-dev can
> patch code and docs to their heart's content, and follow up
> with a patch to the "status" column of the text table.

Good ideas.

> I have added two text files to my working directory ...
>
> documentation/linkalarm-readme.txt
> - shows the report URL and explains the format of the following file
>
> documentation/linkalarm-broken.txt
> - copied the tab-delimited text file from LinkAlarm
> - added a left-hand column for "status"
> - added a right-hand column for "comment"
> - culled a stack of obviously similar messages
> - recorded the status for fixes that Carsten has already done
> - after each run following a Release, this file would get replaced
>
> Started with the following status codes ...
>  - ... not yet addressed
>  F ... fixed
>  ? ... has some issue (see the "comment" field)
>  [1-3] ... external problem link still broken for n runs (e.g. livesites)
>
> If there are no negative comments, then i will go ahead.

Please do. +1

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: LinkAlarm for xml.apache.org/cocoon2/

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >
> > As part of our company's contribution to the wonderful
> > Apache Cocoon, we are going to pay for automated
> > regular link verification of the website at
> > xml.apache.org/cocoon2/
>
> Uh, that's nice! We should setup a credits page for these sort of
> donations.

Thanks anyway, however we do not need that. I wonder if it is
even appropriate. Many people make contributions in varied ways.
Where is the acknlowdgement line drawn?

> > Of course, it is up to all of cocoon-dev to actually fix
> > the links - IndexGeo will help to identify them.
> > The first report is available at:
> > http://reports.linkalarm.com/209176687132/
>
> Again, this should be written someplace in CVS so we don't forget.

Good idea - i considered BugZilla but rejected it. I think CVS
is appropriate. We actually need more than just to record the
URL for the LinkAlarm report.

We also need to streamline the effort of repairing the breaks.
I propose a simple text table, based on the summary that is
provided by LinkAlarm. In this way, all of cocoon-dev can
patch code and docs to their heart's content, and follow up
with a patch to the "status" column of the text table.

I have added two text files to my working directory ...

documentation/linkalarm-readme.txt
- shows the report URL and explains the format of the following file

documentation/linkalarm-broken.txt
- copied the tab-delimited text file from LinkAlarm
- added a left-hand column for "status"
- added a right-hand column for "comment"
- culled a stack of obviously similar messages
- recorded the status for fixes that Carsten has already done
- after each run following a Release, this file would get replaced

Started with the following status codes ...
 - ... not yet addressed
 F ... fixed
 ? ... has some issue (see the "comment" field)
 [1-3] ... external problem link still broken for n runs (e.g. livesites)

If there are no negative comments, then i will go ahead.

regards, David

Re: LinkAlarm for xml.apache.org/cocoon2/

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:

> As part of our company's contribution to the wonderful
> Apache Cocoon, we are going to pay for automated
> regular link verification of the website at
> xml.apache.org/cocoon2/

Uh, that's nice! We should setup a credits page for these sort of
donations.

> Of course, it is up to all of cocoon-dev to actually fix
> the links - IndexGeo will help to identify them.
> The first report is available at:
> http://reports.linkalarm.com/209176687132/

Again, this should be written someplace in CVS so we don't forget.

> I find that the easiest way is to use the left-hand panel
> to go directly to the error listings. e.g. "404 File Not Found".
> Also, links.broken.txt is useful and very direct. You can also
> download a copy of the full report, if you find online
> browsing to be a pain too.
>
> The next run would be after RC2 - though it could be run
> sooner if an interim docs upload is deemed necessary.
>
> This run also covered cocoon2/javadocs/
> Next run will probably be excluding that, which will
> bring the total number of pages down.
>
> Some strange errors are extracted below. The remainder
> are normal broken links.
>
> 1) missing images/dot.gif ... from many docs
> probably a stylesheet issue
> -----
> http://xml.apache.org/cocoon2/images/dot.gif
> http://xml.apache.org/cocoon2/
> 404     Not Found
> -----
>
> 2) strange link to email address ...
> here is one example out of 8:
> -----
> http://xml.apache.org/cocoon2/apidocs/org/apache/cocoon/reading/bloritsch@apache.org
> http://xml.apache.org/cocoon2/apidocs/org/apache/cocoon/reading/DatabaseReader.html
> 404     Not Found
> -----
>
> 3) xsp-internals.html has many broken links to javadocs
> e.g.
> -----
> http://xml.apache.org/cocoon2/javadocs/org/apache/cocoon/generators/Generator.html
> http://xml.apache.org/cocoon2/xsp-internals.html
> 404     Not Found
> -----
>
> 4) there is an amazing amount of mailto: links identified.
> Is this really necessary?

I think this is mostly due to the changes.xml file that gets
transformed. A simple stylesheet change will get rid of these.

Thanks much for this, it is very appreciated.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

AW: LinkAlarm for xml.apache.org/cocoon2/

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@sundn.de>.
> David Crossley wrote:
>
> As part of our company's contribution to the wonderful
> Apache Cocoon, we are going to pay for automated
> regular link verification of the website at
> xml.apache.org/cocoon2/

Great! And a very good idea, too!

> Of course, it is up to all of cocoon-dev to actually fix
> the links - IndexGeo will help to identify them.
> The first report is available at:
> http://reports.linkalarm.com/209176687132/
>
> I find that the easiest way is to use the left-hand panel
> to go directly to the error listings. e.g. "404 File Not Found".
> Also, links.broken.txt is useful and very direct. You can also
> download a copy of the full report, if you find online
> browsing to be a pain too.
>
> The next run would be after RC2 - though it could be run
> sooner if an interim docs upload is deemed necessary.

I think we cannot upload the docs at the current state. We need
more work there (unfortunately), so it might be that this
will happen after rc2.

> This run also covered cocoon2/javadocs/
> Next run will probably be excluding that, which will
> bring the total number of pages down.

I'm +1 on including that.

> Some strange errors are extracted below. The remainder
> are normal broken links.
>
> 1) missing images/dot.gif ... from many docs
> probably a stylesheet issue
> -----
> http://xml.apache.org/cocoon2/images/dot.gif
> http://xml.apache.org/cocoon2/
> 404     Not Found
> -----

Yes, this might be a stylesheet problem. As we now
use Cocoon itself for document generation, this should
be gone. In addition I added it to the xml.apache.org
site.

> 2) strange link to email address ...
> here is one example out of 8:
> -----
> http://xml.apache.org/cocoon2/apidocs/org/apache/cocoon/reading/bl
> oritsch@apache.org

http://xml.apache.org/cocoon2/apidocs/org/apache/cocoon/reading/DatabaseRead
er.html
> 404     Not Found
> -----
This is caused from missing mailto: references in the authors href tags.
I added it to those which were reported, so if we update
the docs they should disappear, too.

>3) xsp-internals.html has many broken links to javadocs
>e.g.
>-----
>http://xml.apache.org/cocoon2/javadocs/org/apache/cocoon/generators/Generat
or.html
>http://xml.apache.org/cocoon2/xsp-internals.html
>404     Not Found
>-----
This should be fixed!

>4) there is an amazing amount of mailto: links identified.
>Is this really necessary?
This should be mainly due to the javasdocs. Each javadoc has at least one
mailto
for the author. So this is necessary.

Carsten