Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by nille hammer <ta...@winfonet.eu> on 2008/05/13 13:11:08 UTC

What ist the advantage of ActionLink compared to EventLink

Hi all,

using an ActionLink one has to assign an id. By this id the event hander is determined. So far so easy. But having assigned an id, a particular ActionLink can only be used once per template. With EventLink one can assign an event attribute and can put several links into a template pointing to the same event handler. I myself have replaced every ActionLink with an EventLink.

I am wondering what ActionLink might be good for. Where is it needed to achieve something you cannot do with EventLink? Please could someone with a deeper knowledge of Tapestry explain that to me.

Thanks in advance and kind regards, nillehammer

Re: What ist the advantage of ActionLink compared to EventLink

Posted by Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 7:26 PM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  EventLink URL's need to explicitly identify the event name in the URL,
>  i.e., "/page:myevent".  ActionLink's need to identify the component
>  instead: "/page.mycomponent".  Which is better?  I'm not sure.

/page.mycomponent is more stylish, but that is subjective.
EventLink handler methods are more concise:
  onMyevent instead of onActionFromMycomponent

--
Massimo
http://meridio.blogspot.com

Re: What ist the advantage of ActionLink compared to EventLink

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
EventLink occured to me later than ActionLink, that's all.  Perhaps if
I had thought of EventLink first, there wouldn't be ActionLink.

EventLink URL's need to explicitly identify the event name in the URL,
i.e., "/page:myevent".  ActionLink's need to identify the component
instead: "/page.mycomponent".  Which is better?  I'm not sure.

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 4:11 AM, nille hammer
<ta...@winfonet.eu> wrote:

>  Hi all,
>
>  using an ActionLink one has to assign an id. By this id the event hander is determined. So far so easy. But having assigned an id, a particular ActionLink can only be used once per template. With EventLink one can assign an event attribute and can put several links into a template pointing to the same event handler. I myself have replaced every ActionLink with an EventLink.
>
>  I am wondering what ActionLink might be good for. Where is it needed to achieve something you cannot do with EventLink? Please could someone with a deeper knowledge of Tapestry explain that to me.
>
>  Thanks in advance and kind regards, nillehammer

Howard M. Lewis Ship