Posted to dev@gora.apache.org by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com> on 2012/02/25 21:33:33 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Strategy moving towards Gora 0.2 release

Hi Guys,

I'm updating this thread because there has been some progress with Gora in
recent weeks and I firmly believe that we should be aiming for a 0.2
release soon.

Of the 5 issues which are still left for 0.2 release I've got for following
to say about them:

- GORA-76 & 94 Upgrade to Hadoop 1.0.0 & Avro 1.6.2 respectively. I've got
a 80% baked patch which has merged into addressing both issues. It would be
great if someone slightly more clued up on Avro could pick this up and
finish off. There is little I can do before I get an explanation of
replacements for the deprecated API from user@avro.apache.org

- GORA-53 Cassandra tests. Again I have a pretty advanced patch(es) for
this, it uses Hector's embedded server similar to HBase's
HBaseTestingUtility for managing the embedded server. In it's current form
the first test seems to setUp, then the code trips and it keeps settingUp
all of the tests, before tearing them down and progressing to succesfully
build the project put miserably fail all tests. I've not yet written any
Mapreduce tests simply because I couldn't get any further with the patch AS
IS. Some help would be greatly appreciated.

- GORA-74 Removal of Sqlbuilder library. I haven't made much progress with
this at all... I've briefly reviewed JOOQ replacements and I think I have
some idea of what is required, however I've not had sufficient time and
patience to get personal with this issue yet!

- GORA-63 bin/compile-examples.sh does not work. This looks to be as
trivial as they come... however I'm not able to confirm if this is the case
or not and whether the patch Enis attached actually solves the problem. Can
anyone confirm and if so we can get it committed... if not then we can dig
deeper!

That's about it from me for now, I realise that we're all busy with other
things, it would however be excellent to see a Gora 0.2 release out the
door. Would be an excellent milestone to report back to the board about as
well for the upcoming monthly report.

Thanks, have a great weekend.

Lewis

--