Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by "R. Diez" <rd...@yahoo.de.INVALID> on 2018/08/08 07:58:05 UTC

Native packaging with OpenJDK

Hi all:

Oracle is changing the licensing of its JRE, so I am considering switching over to OpenJDK. These are a few questions I can think about:

1) Does NetBeans 9 work well with OpenJDK? The docs for the older NetBeans 8 say that it does not.

I develop on Ubuntu 16.04, which does have OpenJDK 8 in the standard repository now. But I also need to test under Microsoft Windows.

2) Where is the best place to get OpenJDK binaries for Windows for NetBeans?

Is there one with an auto-updater?

3) I know that NetBeans has native packaging, but that generates an installer. Is there a way to generate a portable application?

I want the user to just double-click to run the application, without installing anything. That would be like double-clicking a .jar file, but bundling a JVM (JRE, not the full JDK), in case the user has none installed.

A bonus would be the ability to generate portable applications for Windows from within Linux.

4) If NetBeans' native packaging under Windows bundles components from the installed Oracle JDK into the generated installer, will that violate Oracle's new licensing?

Thanks in advance,
  rdiez