Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de> on 2007/04/09 10:32:22 UTC

Re: site build

Ahmed Mohombe <am...@yahoo.com> writes:

>> Do you personally recommend apt or xdocs?  It looks like apt is the
>> easier format.
>Velocity should eat it's own dog food and use XDocs + DBF (DocBookFramework).
>Otherwise it's not really convincing.

Hi,

xdoc is a cooked up 'html-alike' that just happened to become popular
by accident because of maven-1 adopting it. Up until recently there
has not been a DTD for it and even at the current level, I personally
would mark it as "irrelevant" any time.

xdoc has one huge advantage over any plain-text, almost-plain-text or
wiki format, it is white-space insensitive because the structure of
the document comes from the markup.

I would use xdoc for generated documents where you can not control the
white space injection (e.g. see the generated who-we-are page). If you
have a document that is already plain text (e.g. the board reports) or
that you want to be able to read without having to process it and read
it through a browser, then APT is always better. Docbook on the other
hand is a format that has been widely adopted, good tool support and
offers "printable document capability". What you want for guides and
books. That is what sets it aside from apt and xdoc.

I prefer not to start an ideology discussion. xdoc and apt are
tools. Not using one of them for a political reason is plain dumb. As
long as we go the maven-2 route for the sites, we use everything that
maven-2 offers.

	Best regards
		Henning

--
Henning P. Schmiedehausen  -- hps@intermeta.de | J2EE, Linux,               |gls
91054 Buckenhof, Germany   -- +49 9131 506540  | Apache person              |eau
                                                                            |m k
INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH - RG Fuerth, HRB 7350     |a s
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Buckenhof. Geschaeftsfuehrer: Henning Schmiedehausen |n

	       "Save the cheerleader. Save the world."