Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Christopher <ct...@apache.org> on 2021/07/06 13:26:30 UTC

Please redirect automated GitBox emails to different list

Hi ComDev,

I'm probably not the only one who has noticed the flurry of emails on
the main dev@community.apache.org due to GitHub activity on the
comdev-site repo.

To help deal with that, I created a pull request:
https://github.com/apache/comdev-site/pull/64
For more information, see
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/git+-+.asf.yaml+features#Git.asf.yamlfeatures-Notificationsettingsforrepositories

The PMC must create a new notifications@community.apache.org list for
this change, if they decide to accept my proposed change.

Thanks!

- Christopher

Re: Please redirect automated GitBox emails to different list

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
Fair. Count me as -0. Thanks for your detailed answers.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
Sorry, I have a slight correction on my response. I meant to write:
'"OPT-IN" makes so much more sense here.' Sorry for any confusion.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 1:10 PM Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org> wrote:
[SNIP]
> Tell me why a split discussion is good for the community?

I feel like I didn't do a good enough job of responding to this point,
so to clarify further:

My answer is that it's *not*. However, that problem already exists
with any issue tracker. Discussions happen on JIRA today, as well as
on GitHub pull requests, or ReviewBoard, or Slack. We can moderate the
notifications list to prevent additional discussions from occurring
there, so this wouldn't create a new forum for discussions to be split
across. That's a misunderstanding of what I'm proposing.

The purpose of this change isn't to split up discussions further.
Rather, it's intent is to make it easier to *find* discussions to
participate in. One way it does this is by removing redundant spammy
notifications if users are already being notified by GitHub directly
because they have subscribed to the repo there. Reducing this spam on
the dev@ list makes finding the remaining discussions on the list
easier, because there's less noise to wade through. It also makes it
easier to find discussions happening on GitHub, even if you aren't
subscribed, because if you choose to subscribe to the second list to
receive notifications that way, filtering your mail in your email
client is much more reliably done with a "list-id:" header that is
unique for each mailing list than it is with only pattern-matching on
a "subject:" line.

I hope that helps clarify the intent here.

Re: Please redirect automated GitBox emails to different list

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.

comdev-site: https://github.com/apache/comdev-site/blob/master/.asf.yaml

notifications:
  commits:      commits@community.apache.org
  issues:       dev@community.apache.org
  pullrequests: dev@community.apache.org

One - issues have not been enabled so that setting is meaningless to comdev-site.

Why add notifications@ when commits@ exists?

.asf.yaml allows:

  # Send new/closed PR notifications to dev@
  pullrequests_status:  dev@foo.apache.org
  # Send individual PR comments/reviews to issues@
  pullrequests_comment: issues@foo.apache.org

So PRs could be split, but we are already having a split discussion of https://github.com/apache/comdev-site/pull/64

Tell me why a split discussion is good for the community?

All The Best,
Dave

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
Does it really make sense to use the same list for development
discussions amongst the ComDev community, and discussions with the
general public?

At present this single list is acting as both developer and user list.
[Many projects would also have commits, issues and notifications lists]

It may not be an issue for the ComDev community to disentangle the
emails, but it must be confusing for the general public trying to find
answers to their questions on how the ASF works.

It also means that the mail archives are less useful for people trying
to see how the ASF community works rather than how ComDev itself
functions.

It has always seemed strange to me that discussions on ComDev tools
are mixed in with questions from someone on how to get started with
the ASF.

Sebb.

Posted by Brian Thompson <br...@hashvault.io>.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
Great discussion, everybody! Here's some thoughts in response to some
of the questions/concerns raised:

People should *not* have to subscribe to the other list in order to
participate in discussions. It should just be for automated notices.
The best practice is, like commits@, have it moderated and
automatically reject anything not from "apache.org" to virtually
eliminate any moderation effort. If you need to discuss, the best
practice is to reply to it on the dev@ list to start a new discussion
thread there.

The reason not to use commits@ directly is because it's nice to have
actual commit activity, for archival purposes, in its own dedicated
list. Many projects have a jira@, notifications@, or issues@ list for
automated notices from their issue tracker. That's all I'm suggesting
here.

I noticed that COMDEV JIRA notifications are also going to dev@. If
you want to use the same notifications@ list for the COMDEV JIRA, I'd
be in favor of that as well, but that's a separate issue that I wasn't
intending to raise here. It has its own pros and cons. To configure
that, it's not done in .asf.yaml, it's done at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/plugins/servlet/project-config/COMDEV/notifications
or by submitting a JIRA ticket to INFRA. Therefore, it's outside the
scope of my PR to address the GitHub notifications.

I also understand the concern raised about the difficulty of having
discussions on dev@ because of GitHub's ease-of-use. However, I don't
think forcing redundant notifications on GitHub users is the right
solution, as it will discourage GitHub users from participating in the
mailing lists... which is the opposite of what you want. The reason
for GitHub users to participate in the mailing lists will be because
they get value out of the mailing lists other than what they get from
using GitHub directly.

As for the comment regarding whether or not a destination should be
set for `issues:`, GitHub considers pull requests to be a type of
issue, so its important to set this value, even if you have issues
disabled on GitHub, because (I believe) commenting on a pull request
triggers the same notification as commenting on an issue. I believe
`pullrequests:` is triggered for newly created PRs, but `issues:` is
still used for notifications of any comments or code reviews on a pull
request, as though it were any other issue.

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@apache.org>.
If I had a dollar for every time I've been on a list with this discussion
or a variant thereof... I wouldn't be rich, but I could probably buy myself
a really spiffy NVME drive or something.

FWIW I think the better approach is to filter rather than shunt the commits
to a different list. I don't feel super-strongly about this, but commits to
the site _are_ part of human discussions, IMO. It gives people an
opportunity to see what is being added to the site whereas not all of those
commits are going to be discussed in depth on the list.

We are all, presumably, capable of creating filters for something like this
if we don't want to see the content in our inbox.

Best,

jzb

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.