Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Mike Pepe <la...@doki-doki.net> on 2005/11/28 16:14:53 UTC

is teaching SA ham it already marked as ham bad?

I've been feeding messages from my inbox into a folder that SA reads as
ham for quite some time now.

Suddenly it occurs to me that this may be a bad idea, and I should only
have SA learn messages as ham that it believes is spam.

This strikes me as being as bad as forcing SA to re-learn spam as spam
again.

Am I correct in this assumption, or is re-learning good email as ham safe?

I'm hoping that I can finally put an end to these new and especially
annoying "timepiece" emails that sneak through.

thanks

-Mike

Re: is teaching SA ham it already marked as ham bad?

Posted by JamesDR <ja...@trusswood.net>.
Mike Pepe wrote:
> I've been feeding messages from my inbox into a folder that SA reads as
> ham for quite some time now.
>
> Suddenly it occurs to me that this may be a bad idea, and I should only
> have SA learn messages as ham that it believes is spam.
>
> This strikes me as being as bad as forcing SA to re-learn spam as spam
> again.
>
> Am I correct in this assumption, or is re-learning good email as ham safe?
>
> I'm hoping that I can finally put an end to these new and especially
> annoying "timepiece" emails that sneak through.
>
> thanks
>
> -Mike

If autolearn is enabled, and it is doing its job, then it should be
ignoring the mails. However, if you don't have autolearn enabled, then
training as ham/spam on correctly marked mails isn't a bad thing (IMO.)
Keeps the DB fresh with the current mail stream. I train everything that
was classified correctly/incorrectly and has worked well for years.
Others may have other opinions. It appears, at least to me, the fresher
the bayes db, the better results out of bayes.
As usual, YMMV

James