Posted to dev@systemds.apache.org by "Baunsgaard, Sebastian" <ba...@tugraz.at.INVALID> on 2022/07/06 07:59:33 UTC

Docker release policy?

Hi all,

We seem to be missing some Libraries in our docker image for testing.

It is related to missing packages:

unbalanced, DescTools.

And it leads nicely to the issue of docker images release policy.

We have set it up such that we nicely and easily can release our docker images from master branch.

While this is nice we need to have a public discussion about release policy of such images.

Currently we have an issue because right now we technically have released a new docker image for testing, python and for "raw" systemds, that is unaligned with the official releases (only because it is released a small bit later).

Furthermore our test image is released completely separately but still publicly available as a released item on apache's docker image repository.

So the questions are:

- Do we vote on releasing docker images?

- Do we officially consider it a released artifact?

- Is the test images considered released artifacts?

- Do we have a policy for updating the above with nightly builds?

best regards

Sebastian

PS. test docker image errors:

https://github.com/apache/systemds/runs/7201086904?check_suite_focus=true

script file: ./src/test/scripts/functions/builtin/tomeklink.R

Error: Run 2: BuiltinTomeklinkTest.testTomeklinkSP:54->runTomeklinkTest:81->AutomatedTestBase.runRScript:1258 ERROR: R has ended irregularly
R Standard output :
R Standard Error :
Error in library("unbalanced") : there is no package called ‘unbalanced’
Execution halted

script file: ./src/test/scripts/functions/builtin/winsorize.R

[INFO]
Error: org.apache.sysds.test.functions.builtin.part2.BuiltinWinsorizeTest.testWinsorizeSourcedFooCP
Error: Run 1: BuiltinWinsorizeTest.testWinsorizeSourcedFooCP:61->runWinsorizeTest:88->AutomatedTestBase.runRScript:1258 ERROR: R has ended irregularly
R Standard output :
R Standard Error :
Error in library("DescTools") : there is no package called ‘DescTools’
Execution halted

Re: Docker release policy?

Posted by Janardhan <ja...@apache.org>.
Adding to this discussion.

We have discussed about this last year:
Does the formal voting applies to all the deliverables from a commit?[1]
- 1. we vote on the commit, maven artifacts
- 2. which automatically applies to convenience packages such as pypi, docker.

As for the release of docker images: (is a convenience package, to be
built from RC)
they will be published with 3.0.0 (for example) and latest tags.

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/277vks8q72cxxgmywxm7cblqvgn3yzgj

Best Regards,
Janardhan