Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Eric Johnson <er...@tibco.com> on 2010/07/14 19:42:14 UTC

[PROPOSAL] gXML project

Hi,

I'm here proposing gXML as a new project for the Apache Incubator.

I just finished putting our latest draft of the proposal[1] into the
Incubator wiki.  We're really excited about open-sourcing gXML, not just
because we view it as a "game changing" XML technology, but also because
of the beneficial network effects stemming from having it as an
open-source technology.

If you have any interest in (Java) XML infrastructure, or, for that
matter, even if you don't, we'd love any feedback you can give us on the
proposal.

Since this is a spin off of an internal development project, we're
hosting the project's main page [2] on my company's web site until it
lands in a new home....  Check that out for source and other info, if
you wish.

We are, in addition, looking for Champions, Mentors, and any additional
contributors that we can get.

Due to the length of the proposal (lots of background material), I've
not reproduced it here, but the link below will get you there.

Thanks in advance for your consideration, feedback, and support!

- Eric Johnson

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/gXMLProposal
[2] http://developer.tibco.com/gxml/default.jsp

Re: [PROPOSAL] gXML project

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
+1 (Not binding)

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 7:41 PM, Eric Johnson <er...@tibco.com> wrote:
> Hi Jochen,
>
> I've taken the liberty of adding you to the "Nominator Mentors" section
> of our proposal.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Eric.
>
> On 07/14/2010 12:40 PM, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
>> I am interested in the project and would offer to act as a mentor.
>>
>> One question though: Could you explain, how this project compares to
>> VXQuery (http://incubator.apache.org/vxquery/)
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jochen
>>

>> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 7:42 PM, Eric Johnson <er...@tibco.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm here proposing gXML as a new project for the Apache Incubator.
>>>
>>> I just finished putting our latest draft of the proposal[1] into the
>>> Incubator wiki.  We're really excited about open-sourcing gXML, not just
>>> because we view it as a "game changing" XML technology, but also because
>>> of the beneficial network effects stemming from having it as an
>>> open-source technology.
>>>
>>> If you have any interest in (Java) XML infrastructure, or, for that
>>> matter, even if you don't, we'd love any feedback you can give us on the
>>> proposal.
>>>
>>> Since this is a spin off of an internal development project, we're
>>> hosting the project's main page [2] on my company's web site until it
>>> lands in a new home....  Check that out for source and other info, if
>>> you wish.
>>>
>>> We are, in addition, looking for Champions, Mentors, and any additional
>>> contributors that we can get.
>>>
>>> Due to the length of the proposal (lots of background material), I've
>>> not reproduced it here, but the link below will get you there.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance for your consideration, feedback, and support!
>>>
>>> - Eric Johnson
>>>
>>> [1] http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/gXMLProposal
>>> [2] http://developer.tibco.com/gxml/default.jsp

Thanks
- Mohammad Nour
- Blog: http://tadabborat.blogspot.com
----
- Albert Einstein

than your best."

"Stay hungry, stay foolish."
- Steve Jobs

Re: [PROPOSAL] gXML project

Posted by Eric Johnson <er...@tibco.com>.
Hi Jochen,

Re: [PROPOSAL] gXML project

Posted by Amelia A Lewis <al...@tibco.com>.
Dear Jochen,

Thanks for the pointer to VxQuery.  Actually, I think that that project
might benefit from adopting gXML.

VxQuery appears to be what gXML would deem a processor.  gXML
effectively provides an infrastructure that could simplify things for
VxQuery (and similar projects that target multiple tree models).
VxQuery appears to be using a classic wrapper/facade pattern to achieve
tree model independence.  The problem with doing this is that it's
expensive; the larger the tree, the higher the cost in wrapper objects.

gXML doesn't provide an XQuery processor.  What it provides is an API
that reflects the XQuery Data Model (XDM) using Java generics and the
Handle/Body pattern.  That is, rather than wrapping each node, a
"bridge" (the gXML term for a tree model adapter) provides a single
Model, which can perform XDM-mandated actions (information about a
node, movement from a source node to a particular
algorithmically-defined destination (first child, next sibling, etc.),
iteration over axes) without creating additional objects.  (I'm trying
not to be too detailed/technical; I can be if that's more useful)

There's some nice potential for enabling each other's projects, I
think.  :-)  We'll need to contact the VxQuery folks.  Well, there are
a bunch of folks we'd like to contact ....  But VxQuery really looks
like a classic case where our bridges would potentially be of deep
interest to the project, with the possibility of reducing LoC count and
improving performance.

For the initial code contribution, gXML contains three bridges: DOM,
AxiOM, and a "reference" bridge designed for simplicity (but not at all
for performance; it's just supposed to be a *very large* example of
bridge development, in effect, without the complexities entailed by
programming to existing tree models).  The ability to define these
bridges over tree models (and potentially, over any hierarchical data
model) is one of gXML's most powerful contributions, I think.

Hmmmm ... is that a useful response?  Let us know, okay?  I tend to
verbosity ....

Amy!
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 21:40:20 +0200, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> I am interested in the project and would offer to act as a mentor.
>
> One question though: Could you explain, how this project compares to
> VXQuery (http://incubator.apache.org/vxquery/)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jochen
>

> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 7:42 PM, Eric Johnson <er...@tibco.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm here proposing gXML as a new project for the Apache Incubator.
>>
>> I just finished putting our latest draft of the proposal[1] into the
>> Incubator wiki.  We're really excited about open-sourcing gXML, not just
>> because we view it as a "game changing" XML technology, but also because
>> of the beneficial network effects stemming from having it as an
>> open-source technology.
>>
>> If you have any interest in (Java) XML infrastructure, or, for that
>> matter, even if you don't, we'd love any feedback you can give us on the
>> proposal.
>>
>> Since this is a spin off of an internal development project, we're
>> hosting the project's main page [2] on my company's web site until it
>> lands in a new home....  Check that out for source and other info, if
>> you wish.
>>
>> We are, in addition, looking for Champions, Mentors, and any additional
>> contributors that we can get.
>>
>> Due to the length of the proposal (lots of background material), I've
>> not reproduced it here, but the link below will get you there.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your consideration, feedback, and support!
>>
>> - Eric Johnson
>>
>> [1] http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/gXMLProposal
>> [2] http://developer.tibco.com/gxml/default.jsp

> Germanys national anthem is the most boring in the world - how telling!

Amelia A. Lewis
Senior Architect
TIBCO/Extensibility, Inc.
alewis@tibco.com