Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Aakriti <aa...@cisco.com> on 2007/12/17 17:18:03 UTC

Trying to Map a web application to "/" in tomcat 5.5

Hi,
We are trying to Map the URl of our tomcat instance such that the webapp
"appadmin" maps to "/"
The tomcat version being used is tomcat 5.5.17
We are trying to do this by specifying the following in server.xml

  <Service name="Catalina">
    <Connector port="6293" />

    <!-- This is here for compatibility only, not required -->
    <Connector port="8017" protocol="AJP/1.3" />

<!--      <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.UserDatabaseRealm"
             resourceName="UserDatabase" /> crossContext="false"  -->

      <Host name="localhost" appBase="webapps" unpackWars="true"
autoDeploy="true">
    <Valve className="com.cisco.manager.impl.ManagerValve" />
    <Context docBase="/appadmin" path="/appadmin" reloadable="true"
wrapperClass="org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper">
    <Valve className="com.cisco.uccx.UccxAuthenticator"
characterEncoding="UTF-8"/>
    <Realm className="com.cisco.uccx.UccxRealm"/>
       </Context>

        </Host>
    </Engine>

  </Service>

But when we try to navigate to a servlet mapped to the URL pattern
/appadmin/Main (specified in web.xml), we are not able to reach it using
http://hostname:6293/appadmin/Main. We still have to use
http://hostname:6293/appadmin/appadmin/Main

The same use to work in Tomcat 3.2. We are in the process of migrating to
tomcat 5.5.
Also we are using form based authentication where the url pattern is
specified as /appadmin/* as most of our URL patterns start with /appadmin/..
in web.xml
Any idea on what we are doing wrong?
Regards
Aakriti

RE: Trying to Map a web application to "/" in tomcat 5.5

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Aakriti [mailto:aadharma@cisco.com]
> Subject: Trying to Map a web application to "/" in tomcat 5.5
>
> The same use to work in Tomcat 3.2. We are in the process of
> migrating to tomcat 5.5.

Then read the doc for 5.5, and don't try set up server.xml like you did
before:

In particular, get the <Context> element out of server.xml, put it in
your webapp's META-INF/context.xml file, remove the docBase and path
attributes, and then see where you are.

If you're migrating, why aren't you migrating to 6.0?

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

RE: Trying to Map a web application to "/" in tomcat 5.5

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net]
> Subject: Re: Trying to Map a web application to "/" in tomcat 5.5
>
> You need to do the UNIX equivalent of 'rm -rf' which
> doesn't exist on a standard Windows XP or Vista install

Actually, it does:
rd /s /q [target]

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: Trying to Map a web application to "/" in tomcat 5.5

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Martin Gainty [mailto:mgainty@hotmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Trying to Map a web application to "/" in tomcat 5.5
>
> %CATALINA_HOME%\webapps>dir ROOT
>  Directory of %CATALINA_HOME%\webapps\ROOT

You're running on Windows - which uses case insensitive file systems.
The DIR command simply echoes what you typed in, regardless of the
actual casing of the name in the directory entry.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: news [mailto:news@ger.gmane.org] On Behalf Of Stephen Souness
> Subject: Re: Trying to Map a web application to "/" in tomcat 5.5
>
> The war is exploded into a directory named root - lowercase,
> and is only accessible under the http://host/root URL.

That is to be expected.  Even though Windows is not case sensitive, Java
is, so the default webapp must be named ROOT, not root, even on Windows.

Posted by Stephen Souness <so...@hotmail.com>.
My environment is slightly different (Windows XP Professional with NTFS
file system, Tomcat 5.5.25), and the steps I used to deploy are a little
different.

The steps which I took to test my theory before posting:
- shutdown Tomcat
- remove all traces of my application
- copy drop root.war into webapps
- restart Tomcat

The war is exploded into a directory named root - lowercase, and is only
accessible under the http://host/root URL.

The joys of Windoze?

--
Stephen