Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Abdul Rasool <ra...@gmail.com> on 2014/12/31 05:20:24 UTC

CPU socket miss match !!! Urgent

Hi,

In my test / dev environment I have total 2 Dell Poweredge M620 blade
servers configured as KVM hypervisor each has physical CPU of 2 sockets,
total number of CPU sockets available in my setup is 4 sockets. but in ACS
infrastructure shows only 2 physical sockets. for your reference I have
attached my infrastructure screenshot.

could you please some one help me why ACS is showing only 2 CPU sockets
instead of 4 ? is there any configuration issue from my side. ? right now
this environment is used for our internal development purpose due to CPU
mismatch I am not able to add additional guest VM in my infrastructure it
is throwing me insufficient resources.......!

[image: Inline images 1]

Regards,
AR

Re: CPU socket miss match !!! Urgent

Posted by Abdul Rasool <ra...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for your support Kevin

I have fine tuned cpu.overprovisioning.factor settings to manage my
capacity at this movement. I am keen to know is there any other way to
display the actual CPU socket count on the ACS infrastructure dashboard ?

Thanks
AR

On 1 January 2015 at 00:38, Kevin McCormick <Ke...@intrinium.com>
wrote:

> I believe this is an issue with NUMA. I think this is only a display issue
> and not actually causing any capacity issues.
>
> We have this output from virsh nodeinfo on two identical hosts:
> CPU model:           x86_64
> CPU(s):              16
> CPU frequency:       1600 MHz
> CPU socket(s):       2 <--
> Core(s) per socket:  4
> Thread(s) per core:  2
> NUMA cell(s):        1 <--
> Memory size:         74225672 KiB
>
> CPU model:           x86_64
> CPU(s):              16
> CPU frequency:       1600 MHz
> CPU socket(s):       1 <--
> Core(s) per socket:  4
> Thread(s) per core:  2
> NUMA cell(s):        2 <--
> Memory size:         74225528 KiB
>
> The first host is configured with NUMA interleave mode in the system BIOS,
> which we've found as a better fit for our workload. That makes it appear as
> only a single NUMA cell with two sockets. The second system hasn't been set
> to interleave mode, and it's able to see both NUMA cells, each of which has
> a single CPU socket.
>
> Note that in both cases the total number of CPUs is detected correctly,
> and I believe that number is what ACS uses for capacity planning.
>
> Abdul, you may want to look into the cpu.overprovisioning.factor setting.
> This is at a cluster-level and affects how much CPU is reserved for an
> instance.
>

> Kevin McCormick
> Director of Cloud Services
>

> Intrinium
> Tel: (509) 465-1234 x7080
> Fax: (866) 565-4578
> Lync / Skype: Kevin.McCormick@intrinium.com

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

Re: CPU socket miss match !!! Urgent

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.

Posted by Abdul Rasool <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Harikrishna,