Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Chris Rose <ch...@messagingdirect.com> on 2008/01/05 21:37:41 UTC

Listing the changes in a revision

I want something that is basically the --summarize option of svn diff,
but without the network overhead, or at least the overhead I assume
exists.  Is it possible, given a revision number, to determine the
_scope_ of the changes in that revision?  I want to know which files
changed, which files were added, deleted, etc...

svn diff --summarize, in my test, seemed to take a long time,
suggesting that it sends more over the wire than I want; is there a
faster way?

Re: Listing the changes in a revision

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 5, 2008 10:37 PM, Chris Rose <ch...@messagingdirect.com> wrote:
> I want something that is basically the --summarize option of svn diff,
> but without the network overhead, or at least the overhead I assume
> exists.  Is it possible, given a revision number, to determine the
> _scope_ of the changes in that revision?  I want to know which files
> changed, which files were added, deleted, etc...
>
> svn diff --summarize, in my test, seemed to take a long time,
> suggesting that it sends more over the wire than I want; is there a
> faster way?

How about

 $ svn log -v -r <revision> URL
?

Or, if you don't want the log text itself:

 $ svn log -v -q -r <revision> URL

?

HTH,

Erik.

Re: Listing the changes in a revision

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jan 5, 2008, at 15:37, Chris Rose wrote:

> I want something that is basically the --summarize option of svn
> diff, but without the network overhead, or at least the overhead I
> assume exists.  Is it possible, given a revision number, to
> determine the _scope_ of the changes in that revision?  I want to
> know which files changed, which files were added, deleted, etc...
>
> svn diff --summarize, in my test, seemed to take a long time,
> suggesting that it sends more over the wire than I want; is there a
> faster way?

I seem to recall that if your server is earlier than 1.4.0 then it
must still send the diffs over the wire and the client just ignores
them. If the server is running 1.4.0 or later then it just sends the
information the client displays and is therefore faster. What version
of Subversion is on your server?