Posted to dev@airavata.apache.org by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org> on 2014/03/02 15:59:32 UTC

GSoC 2013 to GSoC 2014

Hi All,

Last year GSoC projects made good individual contributions producing components but we fell short of integrating them. Part of the challenge was lack of native JS support in Airavata API. Now that Airavata API has also evolved significantly, can we revisit these projects.

Can each of you please refresh your memories and documentation and summarize what needs to be done and how much you are realistically planning to continue to contribute and which will be a good new GSoC 2014 project based on the theme you guys have worked on.

Since Shameera volunteered to explore the JS support in Airavata API (either using the native thrift version or a additional JS-API layer) lets assume this and discuss further. GSOC 2014 deadlines are round the corner, so please speed up this discussion.

Cheers,
Suresh

RE: GSoC 2013 to GSoC 2014

Posted by Viknes Balasubramanee <vi...@msn.com>.
Hi Suresh,

I think it would be nice to add the below features to the Admin Dashboard. I
don't think they are enough to qualify for a new GSOC project but they
should serve as a good start.

1. Categorize experiments by "Run by User". Currently when an admin user
gets a list of experiments, the "run by user" column always has the value as
"admin" because the API populates it with the value of the user calling the
method. This need to be changed to display the actual user who ran the
experiment irrespective of who invokes the API method.

2. Have a Historical/Statistical data with charts/graphs about experiments,
machine it ran on, its status, reason for failure and so on so that an admin
can have an idea of the current state of the system, monitor overall
behavior of experiments on a machine and identify and avoid any potential
problems in the future.

I welcome everyone to come up with more suggestions to add to the Admin
Dashboard. My goal is to make this an indispensable tool which can be used
to monitor and control the entire system when we deploy Airavata on to a
large scale platform like SciGAP for instance.

Thanks,
Viknes

Re: GSoC 2013 to GSoC 2014

Posted by Sanchit Aggarwal <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi All

The main focus this time should be on the integration of the individual
modules.
The main issues during integration were:
1) Using the Registry API inside Angular JS.
Solution: we thought of re-write the JS API client into an Angular.

2) Usage of HTTP API for RabbitMQ in the Frontend
Solution: Porting Vijayendra's code to AngularJS

IMO plan for this year GSOC projects should be addressing these issues.

@Shameera: It would be nice if you provide us with further details of
native-thrift version and JS-API layer.

Regards
Sanchit and Vijayendra