Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by "Pillai, Ranjith" <ra...@hp.com> on 2004/04/05 17:30:05 UTC

What are the advantages of Message style web services?

Hi Axis Community,
 Could anyone shed some light on real advantages of Axis Message Style
services compared to passing in and out complex beans?

Any help will be deeply appreciated,
Ranjith Pillai.

RE: What are the advantages of Message style web services?

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <an...@manes.net>.
JAXM defines a standard messaging interface, but JAXM isn't required by
J2EE 1.4, so lots of folks have chosen not to support it. Most
implementations support some type of messaging interface.

Cape Clear, Systinet, webMethods, and (of course) Sun's JAXM reference
implementation support JAXM. The other products use a proprietary messaging
API -- or they just support SAAJ.

I expect that JAX-RPC 2.0 will include a messaging API. JAX-RPC 2..0 will
support a plug-in XML binding framework. The goal is to replace the
product-specific binding frameworks with JAXB. But I'm sure that the
architecture will permit you to use any binding framework you like.

And yes -- I agree with you that it needs to be specified as part of the
JAX-RPC spec -- you should be able to selectively choose which parts of the
SOAP processing model you want to use for each service and where you want
to do the processing.

Anne

At 06:22 PM 4/5/2004, you wrote:
>Anne,
>         Any idea if and/or when JAX-RPC will standardize this?  So far it
> seems
>like an Axis specific thing - has anyone seen it elsewhere?  (Glue?
>CapeClear?)
>
>Would it not make sense to give the developer the choice of either using the
>XML <-> Java data binding facilities that a particular JAX-RPC
>implementation provides OR allow them to deal with the document directly?
>And let's not forget about JAX-RPC handlers either - I want to be able to
>use either use the data binding facilities or handle the document in either
>the client, handlers, or service implementation.
>
>Your thoughts?
>
>         -Jon

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Anne Thomas Manes
VP & Research Director
Burton Group

RE: What are the advantages of Message style web services?

At 04:00 PM 4/5/2004, you wrote:
>Hi Axis Community,
>  Could anyone shed some light on real advantages of Axis Message Style
>services compared to passing in and out complex beans?
>
>Any help will be deeply appreciated,
>Ranjith Pillai.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Anne Thomas Manes
VP & Research Director
Burton Group

Re: What are the advantages of Message style web services?

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <an...@manes.net>.

At 04:00 PM 4/5/2004, you wrote:
>Hi Axis Community,
>  Could anyone shed some light on real advantages of Axis Message Style
>services compared to passing in and out complex beans?
>
>Any help will be deeply appreciated,
>Ranjith Pillai.

Anne Thomas Manes
VP & Research Director