Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> on 2005/05/22 09:28:12 UTC

better docs for new committer procedure

Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> Jukka Zitting wrote:
> >David Crossley wrote:
> >>There is no need to Cc this to general@incubator.
> >>This stuff is a concern of the project.
> >
> >OK, I'm sorry for that, just learning the correct procedures...
>
> No need to be sorry -- David is confused.  Incubator is the project
> right now and is responsible for the addition of new committers.
> You did the right thing.

Wow, this is an interesting event. I had better go search the
rest of the archives, but i don't recall many committer votes
coming to this list. A quick scan shows three "vote" threads
that refer to committers in the last five months. Does that
mean that not many committers get added during incubation.
Perhaps its that most incubating projects don't Cc to general.

> >Based on previous committer votes I was under the impression that the
> >Incubator PMC should participate in the vote. Am I wrong ([1] doesn't
> >mention this) or should I have Cc:d pmc@ instead?
>
> No, we never cc a private list.  general is where the incubator PMC
> discusses and makes decisions.

Sorry for spreading confusion Jukka, but better docs
should arise from this.

We need to enhance
[1] http://incubator.apache.org/learn/newcommitters.html
and link to other docs at /foundation/ and /dev/

--David

Re: better docs for new committer procedure

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.
On Mon, 23 May 2005, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> Jackrabbit is following the procedures of the original Apache Group
> in adding new committers.  We nominate them first on the
> jackrabbit-private mailing list (which includes all of the existing
> Jackrabbit committers and any members who want to help incubation)
> and, if there are no objections, perform a formal vote in public.
>
> I found that process to be more encouraging of new community members
> than the current httpd habit of doing the vote in private and
> simply giving the person commit access without so much as a notice
> on the public list saying that they had earned it.
>
> Because incubator is the project, we need 3 +1s from the incubator
> PMC in order to validate our vote and add a new account.

Thanks for sharing this.

Dw.

Re: better docs for new committer procedure

Posted by Sander Striker <st...@apache.org>.
Roy T.Fielding wrote:
> Jackrabbit is following the procedures of the original Apache Group
> in adding new committers.  We nominate them first on the
> jackrabbit-private mailing list (which includes all of the existing
> Jackrabbit committers and any members who want to help incubation)
> and, if there are no objections, perform a formal vote in public.
>
> I found that process to be more encouraging of new community members
> than the current httpd habit of doing the vote in private and
> simply giving the person commit access without so much as a notice
> on the public list saying that they had earned it.

Good point.  I like your approach.

Sander

Re: better docs for new committer procedure