Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro> on 2013/12/08 17:11:55 UTC

"migration of data volume is not allowed" - why and how tofix?

Hi,

I'm currently testing Cloudstack 4.2.1-SNAPSHOT with KVM on CentOS 6.5
and with local storage, all works fine as far as I can tell and it's
great that I can move VMs around the hypervisors.

One big problem I have with this setup is that data volumes cannot be
migrated so if I want to migrate VMs with data volumes to another
hypervisor, well, that's too bad, "it's not allowed".

Why is that? They're just qcow2 files, like the root disks and since
they can't be attached to multiple VMs at the same time, I see no reason
why they couldn't be moved. I bet it'd be just fine if I rsync'ed the
files over in the other hypervisor and changed some bits in the DB..

What needs to be done to "fix" this and how can I help?

Regards,
Lucian

Nux!
www.nux.ro