Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Doug Hughes <dh...@alagad.com> on 2009/05/12 19:58:35 UTC

How would you approach this?

Hi,

I've been writing to the list off and on over the past few days.  I'm a
ColdFusion developer and I'm looking at Maven for a few different reasons.
Mainly, I'm exploring the option of using Groovy+Spring+Hibernate to create
the service layers and models for my applications.  ColdFusion is simply a
JEE app that can compile CFML code to Java bytecode and execute it.

A typicaly ColdFuson developer would treat ColdFusion similar to how a PHP
developer might.  IE, they'd connect ColdFusion (running in its container)
to a web server like Apache and have it compile and run CFML source code.
However, because CF is Java we also have the ability to easily instantiate
Java classes and work with them. CF is great for presentation work and many
OO development tasks, but it's interpreted nature can sometimes cause
issues.  So there's a bit of a moment to look at Groovy to create a
Java-based, compiled model and then using MVC frameworks in ColdFusion for
presentation.  This also makes a nice way to share an application's model
between Flex and HTML UIs.

Anyhow, ColdFusion itself can be deployed as a WAR or EAR file.  If you do a
WAR deployment there's actually both a cfusion.war and rds.war file.  Both
are needed to get the full range of features of the language and server.  If
I deployed the ear file both war files are included in it.  If I were to
deply war files to Jboss, for example, I'd put both war files (epanded) into
the /server/default/deploy directory.

When working with Maven, I'm not quite sure how to accomplish this.  I've
found that if I can expand the cfusion.war into the default webapp
archetype's src/main/webapp directory and it will "just work".  However, I'm
not sure where to put the rds.war, or if it's even possible to run more than
on war file through maven.  How would you do this?

My ultimate goal would be to have something like this:

A parent project to build everything.

A child project for my Groovy/Java code.  This gets compiled into a jar and
used by my next child project.

Another child project which would be a webapp with the cfusion.war and
rds.war deployed into it, along with any CFML code and the jar created in
the first child project.  This would be built into.... well, I'm not 100%
sure. :)  Probably a war file that would be deployed to a server.... but
maybe it would really just be one war which as CF, my jar, and CFML code.
The second rds.war would be used essentialy as-is.

Anyhow, I'd appreciate your feedback and suggestions.

Thanks,

Doug Hughes

Re: How would you approach this?

Posted by Lee Meador <le...@leemeador.com>.
Maybe you can solve this by using multiple WAR projects that the EAR project
depends on.

-- Lee

--
-- Lee Meador
Sent from gmail. My real email address is lee AT leemeador.com

Re: How would you approach this?

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.