Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Rory Winston <rw...@eircom.net> on 2005/01/04 14:10:01 UTC

Re: Further progress

Hi Steve,

Sorry for the delay in replying - I have been out of the office till today.

In answer to your question re: locale, I feel the same hesitation as you obviously do attempting to map the concept of a locale to the FTP server scenario, which we know do not match up nicely or consistently. I think the concept of "language" is much more appropriate in this case. I guess the most important thing is to have a fully flexible system that enables us to specify the format and ordering of elements in a listing, and also enables a client to override a usual suspect like the short month listings. What you have here will fulfill this need nicely, and doesn't clutter the client namespace with lots of overloaded convenience methods.

System type specification might also be useful for sure.

Cheers,
Rory