Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Ferdinand Soethe <sa...@soethe.net> on 2005/05/04 09:22:58 UTC

To change or not to changing threads ( Re: Comment on index.html (Re: Where to change comments to configuration files))

In 'Re: Comment on index.html (Re: Where to change comments to
configuration files)'
Ross Gardler wrote:

FS> Sorry, I shouldn't respond to messages one by one. That way I missed
FS> your solution in 'Re: Inkonsistency in implementation of default file
FS> and site.xml and what to do about it' when I wrote my reply.

RG> One of the reasons for keeping everything in one thread. This particular
RG> issue spanned three different threads because of subject changes. It's
RG> sometimes very difficult to know when to change the subject. I always
RG> try not too unless I have totally changed the direction the thread is
RG> taking.

I've started to move discussions to a new thread as soon as the topic
changes significantly. The main reason being that in searching the
archives I have often come across loooong threads that touched the
subject I was looking for once and then discussed something else for
the next 100 messages. And since you can't be sure you have to read
carefully through all of them.

I also like the fact that I can clearly see that a threat is moving on
to something else (perhaps something I'm not interested in) so that I
don't need to follow this new thread.

At least that's the theorie.

My problem is not different threads but the temptation of sending instant
replies. I just needed to take the time, read all new stuff and then
respond to avoid this.

--
Ferdinand Soethe

Re: To change or not to changing threads ( Re: Comment on index.html (Re: Where to change comments to configuration files))

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Ferdinand Soethe wrote:

> Believe me, as I have already suffered consequences from my bad habit of
> sending quick mails ;-)

Absolutely, we have all been there (and I still go there unfortunately).

One of my blog entries describes how I *try* and manage the horrible
flourish of email that Open Source often brings.

http://www.jroller.com/page/rgardler/20050328#ten_tips_for_increasing_your

(its more than 10 now - if you have any favourite tips I'd love to hear
them)

Ross

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
> My problem is not different threads but the temptation of sending instant
> replies. I just needed to take the time, read all new stuff and then
> respond to avoid this.

Instant replies also tend to lower the signal2noise ratio, can create
tensions in case of important discussions, make it easy to mistakenly
difficult to understand. As a general case, waiting some time will
always help, and also ease the personal tension. Updating mail once a
day or at most hourly also helps.

Believe me, as I have already suffered consequences from my bad habit of
sending quick mails ;-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -