Posted to ivy-user@ant.apache.org by do...@gmail.com on 2009/03/31 22:13:13 UTC

Ivy and release build management

Hello,

I'm currently trying to figure out how to utilize ivy to manage release
builds.

Here's an out line of my project structure and how it is currently being
built.

Project A is the consumer of projects B, C and D

Project B is a consumer of projects C and D

and

Project C is a consumer of project D

My situation is as follows. Currently, projects B, C and D each create a
*-SNAPSHOT.jar and a *.<build number>.jar. So, when project B has
successfully built it will have created two files, B-SNAPSHOT.jar and
B.0001.jar and for each successive a new B.* file will be created (versions
are persisted to the file system). I need the snapshots for the daily build
since I want those builds to use the most recent code. But, when I need to
create a release build for A, B or CI need to know which version of the
dependencies to use. Example, at the time of creating B.0001.jar I used the
snapshots which coincide with the following build numbers C.0002 and
D.0004. I'm currently on build B.0005. I want to release build B.0001 but
need to make certain I use C.0002 and D.0004 and not the snapshot or any
other build version. We currently have the build pulling the snapshot for
every build, regardless of it being a daily or release, so I need to change
this.

Ok, now my question. Has anyone had to do anything like this in the past
and if so did you use Ivy to manage it?

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide.

Doug