Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org> on 2001/09/20 00:26:11 UTC

Re: Avalon question

Hi,

On Thu, 20 Sep 2001 02:29, Jar Lyons wrote:
> Mr. Donald,
>
> I've noticed your frequent responses on the avalon mailing list archive
> and I thought you could answer
> a simple question of mine.
>
> I've taken a look at the Avalon projects, and I would like to
> use them in my next project.
>
> Here is my dilemma.
>
> I will be writing servers AND applications (clients of the servers).
>
> While it is clear that Phoenix would be an appropriate use for
> a server, it is not clear to me that any of the other Avalon
> projects would be appropriate for a standalone application (client to
> the server).

Parts of Avalon are server-specific but most of Avalon can be used in the
client. For instance the LogKit and Framework parts of Avalon can easily be
used by clients (and I do in many cases). Parts of Excalibur are useful for
clients (like the command line option parsing) while some is less useful
(object/thread/jdbc pools are rarely needed by the client). So it really
depends on which part you refer to. LogKit, Framework and some of Excalibur
are useful in a client context while other parts are less so.

--
Cheers,

Pete