Posted to builds@apache.org by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org> on 2020/09/23 17:51:08 UTC

[PROPOSAL] - Change the Descriptions to installed packages on Jenkins

Hi All,

This is in response to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-20858
but has also been mentioned previously over the years.

This proposal is in relation to installations of Ant, Gradle, Maven and JDK

Basically, since almost day1 , we provide descriptive references to our
installed software versions.

random examples:-

JDK 1.8 (latest)
JDK 16 (latest)
JDK 1.7.0_79 (unlimited security)
Ant 1.9 (Latest Windows)
Ant 1.9.7
Maven 3 (latest)
Maven 2.2.1 (Windows)
Maven 3.6.3

These are how they appear in drop down menus when configuring jobs, in the
traditional way.
However, as new ways to configure Jenkins has evolved (JenkinsFile etc)
then the descriptions have become obstacles to overcome.

The Infra ticket gives an example of how this is affecting one project.
The ticket also asks for 'aliases' to be created. However, I do not like
this idea as it will double the choices in the traditional drop down menu
etc. And just seems like a bad workaround.

So, the proposal is, to _replace_ the above descriptions with underscores
replacing the spaces.
At the same time, it makes sense to remove braces.

The above list would then become:-

JDK_1.8_latest
JDK_16_latest
JDK_1.7.0_79_unlimited security
Ant_1.9_Latest Windows
Ant_1.9.7
Maven_3_latest
Maven_2.2.1_Windows
Maven_3.6.3

Note that this is a proposal for ALL Jenkins Masters, not just ci-builds,
but also for
beam, cassandra, hadoop, infra, couchdb

The change is trivial to apply, since all tool location entries are added
via Puppet.

Thoughts please. Unless there is some real *strong* objection with
technical reasons
then I intend to make this change in a week or two.

Thank You all

references:-

https://github.com/apache/infrastructure-p6/blob/production/modules/jenkins_client_master/files/setjdks.groovy

https://github.com/apache/infrastructure-p6/blob/production/modules/jenkins_client_master/files/hudson.tasks.Ant.xml

https://github.com/apache/infrastructure-p6/blob/production/modules/jenkins_client_master/files/hudson.tasks.Maven.xml

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/JDK+Installation+Matrix
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/Gradle+Installations
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/Maven+Installation+Matrix
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/Ant+Installation+Matrix

--

*Gavin McDonald*
Systems Administrator

Re: [PROPOSAL] - Change the Descriptions to installed packages on Jenkins

Posted by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org>.
Hi Allen,

On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 8:12 PM Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com>
wrote:

> > On Sep 23, 2020, at 10:51 AM, Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > The above list would then become:-
> >
> > JDK_1.8_latest
> > JDK_16_latest
> > JDK_1.7.0_79_unlimited security
>
> > Thoughts please. Unless there is some real *strong* objection with
> > technical reasons then I intend to make this change in a week or two.
>

> This change doesn't impact me in any way/shape/form (hooray container
> images... never mind that we're not using ASF Jenkins anymore), but if I'm
> allowed to bike shed for a moment, I'd recommend putting _where_ the JDKs
> come from.  OpenJDK vs. Oracle JDK vs. Azul vs. whatever all tend to be
> slightly different.  It might save some time later since this change will
> break the world anyway.

Yes, makes sense in most places, and we do have them currently in the
descriptions, which would remain, examples:-

IBM JDK 1.8.0_261
OpenJDK 1.8.0_242

so those would become

IBM_JDK_1.8.0_261
OpenJDK_1.8.0_242

There are more, and more that we still need to repackage for 20.04 (we
install our software packages from Bintray)

In addition this page
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/JDK+Installation+Matrix
also describes which JDK is being used.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.
> This is in response to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-20858
> but has also been mentioned previously over the years.

+1, obvious as that's my ticket :-)

Thanks for raising it for discussion Gavin.
Agree with Allen's comment.

Re: [PROPOSAL] - Change the Descriptions to installed packages on Jenkins

Posted by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org>.
Hi All,

All done for all Masters.

Please let me know of any issues

Posted by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org>.
Hi Mick,

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
Yes, builds are looking much better now.

thanks,
Robert

On 18-10-2020 14:12:01, Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org> wrote:
Hi Robert,

The Shared nodes get their tool locations from 2 places:

1. The Operations Center global Tool Locations config
2. The node itself if a Windows node - overrides Tool Locations dropdown
choices from (1.) by inserting Windows paths

The above ensures that for example someone choosing 'jdk_1.8_latest' in a
DSL / Jenkinsfile etc will get the correct
path whether run on ubuntu or Windows label (or both of course).

Hope the above helps for the curious.
That said, _I did_ need to update the Windows Nodes configs themselves to
match the Operations Center

Thanks for spotting that, hopefully all good now?

Posted by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org>.
Hi Robert,

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
Hi Gavin,

Posted by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org>.
Hi Robert,

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org>.
Hi All,

Ok, I'm done for now, please test everyone.

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.
Hi Gavin,
no issues with this for Camel, thank you :)

zoran

Posted by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org>.
Hi All,

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.
Hi Gavin,

Posted by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org>.
Hi All,

Posted by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org>.
Hi All,

Posted by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.
Hi Gavin,

--
Zoran Regvart

Re: [PROPOSAL] - Change the Descriptions to installed packages on Jenkins

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.
Hi Gavin,

--
Zoran Regvart

Re: [PROPOSAL] - Change the Descriptions to installed packages on Jenkins

Posted by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org>.

Posted by "P. Ottlinger" <po...@apache.org>.
Hi Gav,

Posted by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org>.
Hi Robert,

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 10:46 AM Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Gavin,
>
> On Wed, 2020-09-23 at 19:51 +0200, Gavin McDonald wrote:
> > So, the proposal is, to _replace_ the above descriptions with
> > underscores
> > replacing the spaces.
> > At the same time, it makes sense to remove braces.
>
> I looked at some projects in the Jenkins UI and they are using the
> label values as they are right now to select the tools, e.g.
>

> https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Jackrabbit/job/jackrabbit-trunk/configure
>
> Would they need to manually adjust to this change?

The first part of that config, the tool location check boxes, would adjust
to the
config change itself, the 2nd part, the combination filter would need to be
manually adjusted.

A quick check just of the latest 1.8 JDK shows :-

grep 'JDK 1.8 (latest)' */jobs/*/config.xml | wc -l
290

So, 290 occurrences of that in config files. And then there are the
multiple occurances
of the 50+ other changes that are to be made.

  I think the best approach here is if I do a find replace of all these as
I do the migration.
So, there should be nothing for you to do, other than check afterwards all
is well.

Of course, I will announce the date, let's do that now, I will make the
change on

*Sunday 4th October at around 1300 UTC*, so in around 11 days time. I
prefer
to make changes/upgrades etc on a weekend, and this weekend is too soon
so will make it for the following weekend - which allows for more
discussion
also as needed.

HTH

Gav...

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
Hi Gavin,

Posted by Andrea Cosentino <an...@gmail.com>.
I think the update hasn't been done yesterday. We have all the jobs failing
now.

Il giorno lun 12 ott 2020 alle ore 16:33 Andrea Cosentino <an...@gmail.com>
ha scritto:

> I changed the jdk for camel, camel karaf and camel sb. The update is not
> in place yet, but we are aligned
>
> Il lun 12 ott 2020, 12:37 Andrea Cosentino <an...@gmail.com> ha scritto:
>
>> Thanks for the heads up. I'll go through the jenkinsfiles
>>
>> Il lun 12 ott 2020, 12:33 Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com> ha scritto:
>>
>>> Heads-up, the names of the tools will change later today and we will
>>> need to update our build configuration. For example here[1]
>>>
>>> zoran
>>> [1]

Posted by Andrea Cosentino <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrea Cosentino <an...@gmail.com>.

Fwd: [PROPOSAL] - Change the Descriptions to installed packages on Jenkins