Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2002/11/04 16:37:09 UTC

Listen

IRC exchange included below:

<maria> 12:30 <mariacat> (111) Connection refused
<maria> 12:30 <icmp-echo> heh
<maria> 12:30 <mariacat> plz fix0rise :)
<maria> 12:31 <icmp-echo> i'm SSLorizing it
<maria> 12:31 <icmp-echo> apart from the apache docs are wrong
<maria> 12:31 <mariacat> i guess phil isn't going to be getting the
stuff setup
<maria> 12:31 <icmp-echo> it says add 'Listen' directives to listen on
ports in
<maria>                   *addition* to the default... it doesn't ... it
replaces the
<maria>                   default
<DrBacchus> OK
<maria> 12:31 <mariacat> if you tell me what's wrong, i can collar one
of the apache
<maria>                  documentors and get themto fix them
<maria> 12:32 <icmp-echo> # Listen: Allows you to bind Apache to
specific IP addresses
<maria>                   and/or
<maria> 12:32 <icmp-echo> # ports, in addition to the default.
<maria> 12:32 <mariacat> s/in addition to/instead of/   ?
<maria> 12:32 <icmp-echo> indeed
<DrBacchus> OK. I will try to get that fixed before the next release.
<maria> btw, yes it is an older version of apache
<maria> it's a production server, you know about keeping things stable
<DrBacchus> How much older?
* DrBacchus checks 1.3.27 ...
<maria> the one from debian woody
<DrBacchus> 1.3.9 right?
<maria> no, it's newer than that
<DrBacchus> .12?
<DrBacchus> ok, well, in .23 it still says "in addition to"
<maria> .3.26 i *think*
<maria> 1.3.26 i *think*
<DrBacchus> I mean in .27 it still says "in addition to"

So, the basic question here is whether this is supposed to say "in
addition to", and the code doesn't work, or if this is a documentation
bug, and the code is working as desired.

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
As we trace our own few circles around the sun

Re: Listen

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, Joshua Slive wrote:

> > So, the basic question here is whether this is supposed to say "in
> > addition to", and the code doesn't work, or if this is a documentation
> > bug, and the code is working as desired.
>
> The config file comment is wrong.  Once a Listen directive is
> placed in the config, it turns off all "defaults".
> (The default is Listen 80, which means listen on all IP
> addresses, port 80.)

OK, thanks. Patch applied.

--
Who can say where the road goes
Where the day flows

Re: Listen

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

> So, the basic question here is whether this is supposed to say "in
> addition to", and the code doesn't work, or if this is a documentation
> bug, and the code is working as desired.

The config file comment is wrong.  Once a Listen directive is
placed in the config, it turns off all "defaults".
(The default is Listen 80, which means listen on all IP
addresses, port 80.)

Joshua.