Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Eric SCHAEFFER <es...@posterconseil.com> on 2000/02/01 07:11:53 UTC

We should do something

Hi,

I haven't enought time, and I'm very hurry (my Web site should be in
production next monday : glurps). But I very very want to do something for
FOP. There haven't been improvements for a while.

The new XSL spec has changed a lot. I think that the code should also be
cleaned up (lot of things done twice).

As I want to do something, I want to know who work on what, what should be
done first, and what do we decide for images.

JAI seems to need Java2. If we stay with old JVM, we should use Jimi.
I think that when we use external classes (like JAI or Jimi), it should be
able to be configured in a file, like Cocoon does. The Cocoon way of doing
this is very pretty. Easy to use, for users and for developpers (changes are
easier to make).
For images, we should be able to configure what type of image is handle by
what class. I can do it if you want.
My Jimi implementation is ready (but I'd like people to test it).
If we do it this way, we could then change for JAI just changing the
properties file.

What do you think ?

Eric.

_______________________________________

Eric SCHAEFFER
eschaeffer@posterconseil.com

POSTER CONSEIL
118 rue de Tocqueville
75017 PARIS
FRANCE
Tel. : 33-140541058
Fax : 33-140541059

-----------------------------
-----------------------------------
http://ApacheCon.Com ------------------------------------
_______________________________________

Re: We should do something

Posted by Pierpaolo Fumagalli <pi...@apache.org>.
Eric SCHAEFFER wrote:

> > JAI requires Java 2 for sure... It's almost impossible working with
> > images on Platform 1.1. I've taken a look at JIMI, and it has a main
> > problem: the license. It cannot be redistributed in any way, and it may
> > be removed from Sun's site anytime... I think we should contact the
> > authors...
>
> Glurps, I didn't check this...

Too bad :( The license says that is for development use only.... And
cannot be redistributed or transfered. While for JAI we can...

> > I didn't follow the discussion. What are you using JIMI for???
>
> Hum, just to be able to read images whatever is its file format...
> (I'm not found of playing with bits)

Ah... Well, the JVM already support quite a bunch of formats in input
(at least GIF, JPG and PNG if I'm not wrong)... Do we need more?

	Pier

<ma...@betaversion.org>    <http://www.betaversion.org/~pier/>

Re: We should do something

Posted by Eric SCHAEFFER <es...@posterconseil.com>.
> > JAI seems to need Java2. If we stay with old JVM, we should use Jimi.
> > I think that when we use external classes (like JAI or Jimi), it should
be
> > able to be configured in a file, like Cocoon does. The Cocoon way of
doing
> > this is very pretty. Easy to use, for users and for developpers (changes
are
> > easier to make).
>
> JAI requires Java 2 for sure... It's almost impossible working with
> images on Platform 1.1. I've taken a look at JIMI, and it has a main
> problem: the license. It cannot be redistributed in any way, and it may
> be removed from Sun's site anytime... I think we should contact the
> authors...

Glurps, I didn't check this...

> > For images, we should be able to configure what type of image is handle
by
> > what class. I can do it if you want.
>
> That's a MUST, IMVHO... Expecially given the status of Jimi from sun...

I'm going to do it.

> > My Jimi implementation is ready (but I'd like people to test it).
> > If we do it this way, we could then change for JAI just changing the
> > properties file.
>
> I didn't follow the discussion. What are you using JIMI for???

Hum, just to be able to read images whatever is its file format...
(I'm not found of playing with bits)

> Pier

Eric

_______________________________________

Re: We should do something

Posted by Pierpaolo Fumagalli <pi...@apache.org>.

Re: We should do something

Posted by Eric SCHAEFFER <es...@posterconseil.com>.
Posted by Arved Sandstrom <Ar...@chebucto.ns.ca>.
At 07:11 AM 2/1/00 +0100, Eric Schaeffer wrote:
>The new XSL spec has changed a lot. I think that the code should also be
>cleaned up (lot of things done twice).

We may be at that point. I know James has not been overly concerned about
performance so far, during development, which is reasonable. But I don't
think that effort taken at any time to optimize will be taken amiss.
Certainly seeking compliance with the latest XSL is top priority.

>As I want to do something, I want to know who work on what, what should be
>done first, and what do we decide for images.

I have my new computer up and running, Windows and Linux, so if I can get
set up as a CVS committer then I can pursue links more aggressively.

>JAI seems to need Java2. If we stay with old JVM, we should use Jimi.
>I think that when we use external classes (like JAI or Jimi), it should be
>able to be configured in a file, like Cocoon does. The Cocoon way of doing
>this is very pretty. Easy to use, for users and for developpers (changes are
>easier to make).
>For images, we should be able to configure what type of image is handle by
>what class. I can do it if you want.
>My Jimi implementation is ready (but I'd like people to test it).
>If we do it this way, we could then change for JAI just changing the
>properties file.

Well, I agree with all of this. External libraries of this sort ought not
to be hardwired if we can help it.

Arved Sandstrom

RE: We should do something

Posted by Bill Raudabaugh <bi...@infomentum.com>.
+1 to upgrade FOP to the latest spec. Consider me a resource to help with
this.

Bill