Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> on 2008/06/25 16:19:03 UTC

Re: [digester] implementation of String->Date for xs:dateTime

Re: [digester] implementation of String->Date for xs:dateTime

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: [digester] implementation of String->Date for xs:dateTime

Posted by simon <si...@chello.at>.
On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 15:34 -0400, Rahul Akolkar wrote:
> On 6/25/08, Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:
> >
> >  Simon,
> >
> >  Sorry for the late followup.
> >
> >  simon.kitching@chello.at wrote:
> >  | Christopher Schultz schrieb:
> >  |> Certainly. Should I log it against digester (where it is most useful) or
> >  |> beanutils (where all the stock Converters actually live)?
> >  | Not against Digester please. Digester doesn't do any data conversion
> >  | itself, just invokes BeanUtils.
> >  | BeanUtils seems the appropriate place for this.
> >
> >  Since this feature primarily benefits users of Digester, and Digester
> >  already has a dependency on beanutils, why not put this
> >  digester-specific capability into the digester?
> >
> <snip/>
>
> I don't see this as [digester]-specific, though your usecase might be
> tied to it. Converters are a better fit in [beanutils].

I just don't see it belonging in Digester either.

Perhaps you could put this on the Digester wiki page. If you want to do this, I suggest creating a "TypeConverters" page, and linking to it from the main page or similar. And maybe linking to it from the BeanUtils page too.

Regards,
Simon

Re: [digester] implementation of String->Date for xs:dateTime

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 6/25/08, Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

>  Simon,
>
>  Sorry for the late followup.
>
>  simon.kitching@chello.at wrote:
>  | Christopher Schultz schrieb:
>  |> Certainly. Should I log it against digester (where it is most useful) or
>  |> beanutils (where all the stock Converters actually live)?
>  | Not against Digester please. Digester doesn't do any data conversion
>  | itself, just invokes BeanUtils.
>  | BeanUtils seems the appropriate place for this.
>
>  Since this feature primarily benefits users of Digester, and Digester
>  already has a dependency on beanutils, why not put this
>  digester-specific capability into the digester?

<snip/>

I don't see this as [digester]-specific, though your usecase might be
tied to it. Converters are a better fit in [beanutils].

-Rahul