Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Tracy Flynn <tr...@zoemail.net> on 2007/11/21 05:51:30 UTC

Finding the right place to start ...

I'm trying to find the right place to start in this community.

I recently posted a question in the thread on SOLR-236.  In that
posting I mentioned that I was hoping to persuade my management to
move from a FAST installation to a SOLR-based one.  The changeover was
approved in principle today.

Our application is a large Rails application. I integrated Solr and
created a proof-of-concept that covered almost all existing
functionality and projected new functionality for 2008.

So, I have a few requests for information and possibly help.

I will need the result collapsing described in SOLR 236 to deploy
Solr. It's an absolute requirement. I understand that it's to be
available in Solr 1.3. Is there updated information for the timetable
for Solr 1.3, and what's to be included?

I would very much also like to have SOLR 103 - SQL Upload plugin
available, though I think I have a work around if it isn't in Solr 1.3.

I would be happy to offer help in any way I can - e.g. with testing.

If someone can point me to the places I need to look to find
information that bears on these questions, I'm happy to go and dig.

Thanks for any help.

Tracy Flynn

Re: Finding the right place to start ...

Posted by Mike Klaas <mi...@gmail.com>.
On 23-Nov-07, at 5:24 PM, Mike Klaas wrote:

> On 23-Nov-07, at 5:17 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:
>

>> : The best way to help is to try out the patch, make sure it
>> applies, see if the
>> : functionality is working, and review the code changes.  Review
>> is usually the
>> : biggest bottleneck in open-source development.
>>
>> this thread reminded me of some stuff i've in the back of my mind
>> about
>> "contributing" in ways other then writing code ... i've added it
>> to the
>> wiki...
>>
>> http://wiki.apache.org/solr/HowToContribute
>
> Is that section complete?
>
> "If there's a Jira issue with a patch you think is really good, and
> works well for you -- please add a comment saying so. if you think
> the patch can be made
> "

I see that it was a dup of a section below--I've removed it.

-Mike

Re: Finding the right place to start ...

Posted by Mike Klaas <mi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Finding the right place to start ...

Posted by Mike Klaas <mi...@gmail.com>.
On 20-Nov-07, at 8:51 PM, Tracy Flynn wrote:

> I'm trying to find the right place to start in this community.
>
> I recently posted a question in the thread on SOLR-236.  In that
> posting I mentioned that I was hoping to persuade my management to
> move from a FAST installation to a SOLR-based one.  The changeover
> was approved in principle today.

Great!  Welcome to the Solr world.

> Our application is a large Rails application. I integrated Solr and
> created a proof-of-concept that covered almost all existing
> functionality and projected new functionality for 2008.
>
> So, I have a few requests for information and possibly help.
>
> I will need the result collapsing described in SOLR 236 to deploy
> Solr. It's an absolute requirement. I understand that it's to be
> available in Solr 1.3. Is there updated information for the
> timetable for Solr 1.3, and what's to be included?

Not exactly.  It mostly depends on what is stable and tested in the
next few months.  It also depends somewhat on the timing of the next
lucene release.

One of the main dependencies for SOLR-236 has been committed to
trunk, so in theory it should be relatively easy to patch a copy of
solr yourself to add the needed functionality.  One of the great
things about Solr is that you can add your own plugins and handlers
relatively easily (for instance, you could add the patch locally to
your copy to create the demo).

The best way to help is to try out the patch, make sure it applies,
see if the functionality is working, and review the code changes.
Review is usually the biggest bottleneck in open-source development.

> I would very much also like to have SOLR 103 - SQL Upload plugin
> available, though I think I have a work around if it isn't in Solr
> 1.3.

This one is less likely as it depends on other components which are
not yet included.

-Mike