Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Yoav Shapira <yo...@computer.org> on 2006/08/17 20:43:03 UTC

[users@httpd] mod_proxy_balancer configuration question

Hi,
I'm trying to configure mod_proxy_balancer with a simple cluster and
have run into a configuration problem that has me stumped.  It's
probably very simple and I'm just missing something ;)  Your help is
appreciated.

I have three machines, www1.mydomain.com, www2.mydomain.com, and
www3.mydomain.com.  All are running httpd 2.2.2 on Fedora Core 5
(64-bit), with the default httpd.conf file, only the serveradmin email
address is changed.

I'd like www1 to be the "master" or balancer proxy, so I've created
the following file in /etc/httpd/conf.d/balancer.conf:

ProxyPass / balancer://mycluster stickysession=jsessionid nofailover=On
ProxyPassReverse / balancer://mycluster
<Proxy balancer://mycluster>
  BalancerMember http://[ip address of www2.mydomain.com]
  BalancerMember http://[ip address of www3.mydomain.com]
</Proxy>
 <Location /balancer-manager>
  SetHandler balancer-manager
  Order Deny,Allow
  Deny from all
  Allow from .mydomain.com
</Location>

On www2 and www3, I created little test files, /var/www/html/test.html
on each machine, with just one line saying "hi I'm www2" on www2, and
"hi i'm www3" on www3.

Here's what I'm seeing:
- When I access http://www2.mydomain.com/test.html directly, I see the
www2 file, no problem
- When I access http://www3.mydomain.com/test.html directly, I see the
www3 file, no problem
- When I access http://www1.mydomain.com/test.html, I get a 403
forbidden error.  This is the problem.
- When I access http://www1.mydomain.com/ I get the directory listings
from www2 or www3, as expected/.  The directory listing includes the
test.html file (with the right size, modification date, etc.), and the
footer includes the correct server name and admin email.  But if I
click on test.html I get the 403 error as above.  If I refresh, I get
the directory listings from the other server, so I know the balancing
is correctly switching servers with each request.

What am I missing?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you,

Yoav