Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Will Nordmeyer <wi...@willspc.net> on 2006/12/01 11:56:06 UTC

Systemwide Procmail usage

I know this isn't the procmail list, but had a quick question.

My server is running SA 3.1.7 and has the following systemwide procmailrc:

SHELL=/bin/sh

#LOGFILE=$HOME/.procmail-log

#VERBOSE=on

DROPPRIVS=yes

:0fw

* < 256000

| /home/spam-filter/bin/spamc -U /home/spam-filter/tmp/spamd.sock

If I want to lower the load on SA by not having emails to/from THIS list
(and select other lists) processed through SpamAssassin, could I simply
change it to this?

SHELL=/bin/sh

#LOGFILE=$HOME/.procmail-log

#VERBOSE=on

DROPPRIVS=yes

:0fw

* < 256000

* ! To:  users@spamassassin.apache.org

Re: Systemwide Procmail usage

Posted by Bob McClure Jr <bo...@bobcatos.com>.
On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 09:38:38AM -0700, karlp@ourldsfamily.com wrote:

> On Fri, December 1, 2006 8:06 am, Bob McClure Jr wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 05:56:06AM -0500, Will Nordmeyer wrote:
> >> I know this isn't the procmail list, but had a quick question.
> >>

> >> My server is running SA 3.1.7 and has the following systemwide procmailrc:
> >>

> >> SHELL=/bin/sh
> >>
> >> #LOGFILE=$HOME/.procmail-log
> >>
> >> #VERBOSE=on
> >>
> >> DROPPRIVS=yes
> >>

> >> :0fw
> >>
> >> * < 256000

> >> If I want to lower the load on SA by not having emails to/from THIS list
> >> (and select other lists) processed through SpamAssassin, could I simply
> >> change it to this?
> >>

> >> SHELL=/bin/sh
> >>
> >> #LOGFILE=$HOME/.procmail-log
> >>
> >> #VERBOSE=on
> >>
> >> DROPPRIVS=yes
> >>

> >> :0fw
> >>
> >> * < 256000
> >>
> >> * ! To:  users@spamassassin.apache.org

> > I don't think that will work because the To: line isn't always just
> > that way, and the sender might have the address in the Cc: line.
> > Rather filter on the line:

> > because it's always, always, always in that format.
> >
> > FWIW, I use a different logic because I have many things I want to
> > exclude from SA scanning, so before the call to spamc, I have recipes
> > like:
> >
> > :0:
> >
> > which diverts such mail directly to my mailbox without going through
> > SA.
>
> Just a thought, but when I place rules in /etc/procmailrc, I do something like:
>
> :0:
>
> That way, if someone else on the server joins the affected list, it is put in
> the correct inbox.
>
> Karl

Good point.  I'm working from my personal .procmailrc.  The only thing
I put in /etc/procmailrc is the call to clamassassin.  Everyone else
calls spamc from ~/.procmailrc, per-user bayes and all that.

> > Cheers,
> > --
> > Bob McClure, Jr.
>

> --
> karl
>      _/  _/      _/      _/_/_/       ____________   __o
>     _/ _/       _/      _/    _/     ____________  _-\<._
>    _/_/        _/      _/_/_/                     (_)/ (_)
>   _/ _/       _/      _/           ......................
>  _/   _/ arl _/_/_/  _/ earson    KarlP@ourldsfamily.com
> ---
> Senior Consulting Sys/DB Analyst
> http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
> ---
>  My Thoughts on Terrorism In America right after 9/11/2001:
>  http://www.ourldsfamily.com/wtc.shtml
> ---
>  The world is a dangerous place to live... not because of
>  the people who are evil, but because of the people who
>  don't do anything about it.
>  - Albert Einstein
> ---

Cheers,
bob@bobcatos.com             http://www.bobcatos.com
"Where you go in the hereafter depends on what you were after here."
  - Thanks to Graffiti, 2 March 2004

RE: Systemwide Procmail usage

Posted by Will Nordmeyer <wi...@willspc.net>.

> From: karlp@ourldsfamily.com [mailto:karlp@ourldsfamily.com]
>
> Just a thought, but when I place rules in /etc/procmailrc, I do something
> like:
>
> :0:
>
> That way, if someone else on the server joins the affected list, it is put
> in
> the correct inbox.
>
> Karl

I updated my procmailrc to this:

SHELL=/bin/sh
#LOGFILE=$HOME/.procmail-log
#VERBOSE=on
DROPPRIVS=yes

:0:

:0fw
* < 256000
| /home/spam-filter/bin/spamc -U /home/spam-filter/tmp/spamd.sock

And now I get no SpamAssassin mailing list mail.

I don't think that's what I want. :-)

--Will

Re: Systemwide Procmail usage

Posted by ka...@ourldsfamily.com.