Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Caroline Jen <ji...@yahoo.com> on 2003/12/17 07:41:02 UTC

Please Help With This Error Message

Please help me to figure out this error message that I
got in the browser: equal symbol expected.

The error complains about this statement in my JSP:
<bean:define id="author" name="creator"
scope="session" type="java.lang.String"/>

and the above statement is intended to retrieve the
string "creator" from a session object.

Re: Please Help With This Error Message

Posted by Gurpreet Dhanoa <gu...@smartdatainc.com>.
hi Caroline

According to me this is perfectly fine. Please see there may be something
worng in your JSP

Regards
Gary

Posted by Caroline Jen <ji...@yahoo.com>.
Hi, I tried and tried.  I cannot figure out the error.
 I need your sharp eyes and experience.  I keep
getting this error message in the browser:

ServletException in:/article/content/postForm.jsp]
/article/content/postForm.jsp(32,67) equal symbol
expected'

This postForm.jsp had worked find before I inserted:

<bean:define id="author" name="cr" scope="session"
type="java.lang.String"/>
name="author"/>" size="82" maxlength="25"
tabindex="1"/>

And the error message points at the <bean:define ...>
tag.  The statements are in ONE line (they do not
wrapped around) in my file.

"cr" is passed to the postForm.jsp in a session object
this way:

<c:set var="cr" value="${articleForm.creator}"
scope="session"/>

Thanks a lot.

-C

Posted by Firat TIRYAKI <fi...@pleksus.com.tr>.

Targeted forward

Posted by Ovidiu EFTIMIE <oe...@assemblee-nat.fr>.
Hi,
I have an abstract  base Action class which calls an abstract method called
executeAction. All my Actions implement the executeAction method.
//Snip from BaseAction class

public ActionForward execute(ActionMapping mapping,ActionForm
form,HttpServletRequest request,HttpServletResponse response)throws Exception {
ActionForward forward = null;
try {
    forward = executeAction(mapping,form,request,response);
} catch (Exception e) {
    ActionErrors errors= new ActionErrors();
    ActionError error = null;

    if(e instanceof BaseException){
        BaseException lex = (BaseException)e;
        error = new ErrorMessage(lex.getMessage());
        forward = new ActionForward(mapping.getInput());
        errors.add(lex.getType(),error);

}else{
    if(e.getMessage() != null){
        error = new ErrorMessage(e.getMessage());
    }else{
        error = new ErrorMessage(Constants.DEFAULT_MESSAGE);
    }
    forward = mapping.findForward("systemError");
    errors.add(Constants.BLOCKING,error);
}
    saveErrors(request,errors);
}
return forward;
}

//--end snip

So as you can see in case of exception I do a forward to the  input page. The
thing is that there are several cases in which I don't want forward to the
input, and that's beacuse I have a master page which triggers submits on an
iframe. So if there is an error in the iframe page the input (that means the
master page) will be displayed in the iframe ... and that wouldn't look very
nice.

So my question is:   is there any way that I can get the input page to be loaded
in the _parent and not in the iframe,  in case of an error?

Thanx,

Ovidiu

RE: Please Help With This Error Message

Posted by fredatwork <fr...@free.fr>.