Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Martinez Gonzalez, Francisco" <fm...@endesa.es> on 2004/09/01 09:09:48 UTC

RE: [users@httpd] LogOut

!!

I found a solution, but only works on =>IE 6.0 SP1

The site with the solution is:
http://weblogs.asp.net/kclemson/archive/2003/11/17/53911.aspx

:)

Posted by Laura Vance <va...@winfreeacademy.com>.
Hello,

If it only works on IE, then I would have to say that it's very likely
not a standards-complient method.  When things don't follow standards,
the vendor has no obligation to continue including them.  Even the
article says that the users had to "convince" the IE team to do it.
This tells me that the IE team could reconsider and remove it if they
feel so inclined, then you're stuck with a specific version of IE and
nothing else will work.

I agree with everyone who said that using a session cookie is best,
because you can overwrite a cookie with blank values just as quickly as
you can write a data-filled cookie to the browser.  And it's not there
until the user wants it to be there by logging in.

One of the solutions mentioned on that site (Windows Integrated
Authentication) was that the browser could log itself into the
application if it's inside your network without username/password.
Maybe I'm paranoid, but I don't want one level of security to override
the other levels of security. (ex. criminal gets physical access to a
machine and then doesn't have to worry about authentication)  I want the
electronic security model to be used no matter what other security a
person is trying to bypass.  Granted, eventually someone could get into
the systems if they wanted to, but I prefer not to help them. ;)

Anyway, these are just my thoughts, and in no way does it mean you have
to abandon what you've done, but it's just something else to consider. :)

Martinez Gonzalez, Francisco wrote:

>!!
>
>I found a solution, but only works on =>IE 6.0 SP1
>
>The site with the solution is:
>http://weblogs.asp.net/kclemson/archive/2003/11/17/53911.aspx
>

>:)

Laura Vance