Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Patrik Karlström <pa...@trixon.se> on 2020/03/15 11:42:57 UTC

[testimonial] Distributing NetBeans Platform App with JavaFX really do work

Given my problems the last couple of months and seeing people here in the
same situation, I thought that I should write about what I ended up doing.

It was really easy in the past when one could just distribute the
application and then relying on the “world wide” JRE to take care of the
rest.

That is not the case after Java 8.

For the last 7 months or so I have been working on moving Mapton, a
NetBeans Platform application, from Java 8 to Java 11 and beyond.

I’ve tried many setups back and forth:

   - using the Platform JavaFX modules,
   - using jars,
   - using the AzulFX and LibericaFX JRE’s,
   - among other things.

I ended up with the following workflow:

   1. Run NetBeans on a JDK with bundled JavaFX modules
   2. Use JavaFX classes, without using any fx dependencies, exclude if
   necessary
   3. Use jlink to create a custom, one for each OS, JRE based off
   AdoptOpenJDK and the latest JavaFX jmods from Gluon.

...and the thing is, creating a custom JRE was the general advice all along.

I guess it’s just to roll with the changes. :)

/Patrik

Re: [testimonial] Distributing NetBeans Platform App with JavaFX really do work

Posted by Patrik Karlström <pa...@trixon.se>.
>I had created an AppLauncher for JavaFX applications you may be interested
in:

I can't see how that relates to a (Swing based) NetBeans Platform
application with JavaFX.

>Custom JDK builds will only work for you unless you somehow package the
custom JDK and force the application to use it.

I do bundle the custom made jre with the NetBeans Platform based
application.

Posted by Ty Young <yo...@gmail.com>.