Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by we...@webadmin.netlook.pl on 2007/05/07 23:34:40 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache Error_log - wrong error format

Hello,

I'm a student of The Technical University of Gdansk (Poland)
I'm curently working on a project which will use apache error_log file. In
my project I'm using details from error_log entries (time, location) to
show a statistic of dangerous errors that has been occured on server - for
example:
"[Fri May 04 20:04:23 2007] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] PHP Fatal error:
Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /var/www/html/index.php
on line 5"

Unfortunetly not every entries have correct format.
For example:
"Allowed memory size of 1048576 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 2038853
bytes)"
"mkdir: cannot create directory `haha': Permission denied"

Why there are no details in that error logs like in others?

apache v. 2.3.3
logformat httpd.conf is default

I will be very grateful for your answer,
Waldek

Re: [users@httpd] Apache Error_log - wrong error format

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 5/7/07, webadmin@webadmin.netlook.pl <we...@webadmin.netlook.pl> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a student of The Technical University of Gdansk (Poland)
> I'm curently working on a project which will use apache error_log file. In
> my project I'm using details from error_log entries (time, location) to
> show a statistic of dangerous errors that has been occured on server - for
> example:
> "[Fri May 04 20:04:23 2007] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] PHP Fatal error:
> Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /var/www/html/index.php
> on line 5"
>
> Unfortunetly not every entries have correct format.
> For example:
> "Allowed memory size of 1048576 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 2038853
> bytes)"
> "mkdir: cannot create directory `haha': Permission denied"
>
> Why there are no details in that error logs like in others?

You can find out about what goes in the error log here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/logs.html#errorlog

As it says, the non-standard entries you see are the stderr output of
cgi scripts. Errors that use the normal apache error api get the
date/client appended, but not the stderr output of cgi scripts.

Joshua.