Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Bob Hartung <rw...@mchsi.com> on 2007/12/11 03:22:41 UTC

[users@httpd] Named Virtual Hosts on Apache on OS X 10.5 -Apache 2

Hi all,
   I am new to Os X adn Apache.  I have httpd running and would like to
establish virtual hosts on my laptop for testing/learning.

I have done the following for virtual hosts "main" and "alternate"

Added to /etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1    main.localhost
127.0.0.1    alternate.localhost

Original htdocs known as Documents was in /Library/WebServer/

I have added:
    for "main"  :  /Library/WebServer/main/Documents
    for "alternate" : /Library/WebServer/alternate/Documents

in /etc/apache2/extra/httpd-vhosts.conf I have this

NameVirtualHost *:80

<VirtualHost *:80>
   DocumentRoot  "Library/WebServer/main/Documents"
   ServerName    main.localhost
</VirtualHost>

<Virtualhost *:80>
   DocumentRoot "Library/WebServer/alternate/Documents"
   ServerName  "alternate.localhost"
</VirtualHost>

The line
"Include /private/etc/apache2/extra/httpd-vhosts.conf" has been uncommented.

In httpd.conf
   DocumentRoot "/Library/WebServer"

   <Directory "/Library/Webserver">
       . . . .
   </Directory>

Also I note that there are two httpd.conf files.  One in /etc/httpd and
the other in /etc/apache2/.  I am not, at this point sure which is used,
so I have edited them to be identical.

So, my question:
1.  Is /etc/hosts correct or should it be
      127.0.0.1  main etc.
2.  Is httpd-vhost.conf set up corectly?

TIA

Bob Hartung

Re: [users@httpd] Named Virtual Hosts on Apache on OS X 10.5 -Apache 2

Posted by Vincent Bray <no...@gmail.com>.
On 11/12/2007, Bob Hartung <rw...@mchsi.com> wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi,

> 127.0.0.1    main.localhost
> 127.0.0.1    alternate.localhost

That's fine. You can combine them in a single line too, so

127.0.0.1 main.local alt.local

> Original htdocs known as Documents was in /Library/WebServer/
>
> I have added:
>     for "main"  :  /Library/WebServer/main/Documents
>     for "alternate" : /Library/WebServer/alternate/Documents
>
> in /etc/apache2/extra/httpd-vhosts.conf I have this
>
> NameVirtualHost *:80
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>    DocumentRoot  "Library/WebServer/main/Documents"
>    ServerName    main.localhost
> </VirtualHost>
>
> <Virtualhost *:80>
>    DocumentRoot "Library/WebServer/alternate/Documents"
>    ServerName  "alternate.localhost"
> </VirtualHost>

Bzzt! You've missed out the leading slash in both DocumentRoots.
Without that the path is appended to ServerRoot, so apache is going to
be looking for /usr/Library/WebServer/...
There's also no need for the quotes unless there's a space in the path
(or hostname, as this applies to both DocumentRoot and ServerName).
See:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/configuring.html#syntax

> The line
> "Include /private/etc/apache2/extra/httpd-vhosts.conf" has been uncommented.
>
> In httpd.conf
>    DocumentRoot "/Library/WebServer"
>
>    <Directory "/Library/Webserver">
>        . . . .
>    </Directory>

Although the typical Mac uses a case insensitive filesystem, you'd
still be better off keeping case correct. In this case you have
Webserver rather than WebServer.

> Also I note that there are two httpd.conf files.  One in /etc/httpd and
> the other in /etc/apache2/.  I am not, at this point sure which is used,
> so I have edited them to be identical.

My freshly installed 10.5 has only an empty /etc/httpd, so I would
suggest you just delete the config file in that directory.

--
noodl