Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu> on 2004/10/11 05:23:09 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Release of Commons HttpClient 2.0.2

The Jakarta Commons team is pleased to announce the release of
HttpClient 2.0.2. This release greatly improves the performance of
executing methods where the response contains little or no content.
Please visit the HttpClient 2.0 web site
<http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/> for more information on
HttpClient and this release.

Thank you,

Commons HttpClient Development Team

Re: [ANNOUNCE] HttpClient is now a separate project in [Bugzilla] issue tracking system

Posted by Adrian Sutton <ad...@intencha.com>.
On 12/10/2004, at 8:19 PM, Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:

> Adrian,
> That would be quite handy. We have over a dozen milestones (pre 2.0.3
> and 3.0b1) that are no longer relevant and should clean up at some
> point. Do you know how we are supposed to go about asking for Bugzilla
> privileges? We do not need a full blown admin privileges. In Bugzilla
> terms we need 'edit components' permission

Ah, unfortunately noone can help you to clean up no longer relevant
milestones.  I think you can delete them but then any bugs that refer
to them lose their milestone and it gets ugly.  There is currently a
patch under review to allow you to retire old milestones but it looks
like it's going to be a while before it makes it into a release (and
then we'd need to get Apache to upgrade).

I'll do some investigation about getting Bugzilla privileges but if
this is a major issue it could be a good reason to go over to JIRA as I
believe it handles it better (but we should check first).

> Oleg

Regards,

Adrian Sutton.

Intencha "tomorrow's technology today"
Ph: 3420 4584 0422236329
35 Prenzler St
Upper Mount Gravatt 4122
Australia QLD
www.intencha.com

Re: [ANNOUNCE] HttpClient is now a separate project in [Bugzilla] issue tracking system

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
Adrian,

Posted by Adrian Sutton <ad...@intencha.com>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu>.
Hi Oleg,

Re: [Bugzilla] vs [JIRA] revisited

Posted by Adrian Sutton <ad...@intencha.com>.
+1, even rats are smart enough to jump off a sinking ship. :)

All the support within Apache is moving to JIRA and it should do what
we want a little better.

Regards,

Adrian Sutton.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@bearingpoint.com>.
Folks,

Posted by Roland Weber <RO...@de.ibm.com>.
Hi Oleg,

could we synchronize the switch with the 4.0 implementation?
In other words, continue with Bugzilla for 2.0 and 3.0, but once
work gets started on 4.0, where the API changes and the package
names probably change, then the bug tracking system changes
as well?

cheers,
  Roland

[Bugzilla] vs [JIRA] revisited

Posted by Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu>.
Awesome!  Nice work Oleg.

Mike

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Release of Commons HttpClient 2.0.2

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@bearingpoint.com>.
Hi Sudhakar,

Why should a personal opinion of one guy hurt? We are all entitled to
have our own opinion. As imperfect as HttpClient may be, it is still
being used by numerous state of the art projects such as Spring
framework, and to me that counts more than an opinion of one guy.

> 1. API is not stable

This is basically correct. See point 2.

> 2. API is flaky

This is basically correct. The API is far from being perfect. This said,
in my opinion is still waaaaaaaaaaaay better than Java Net API. The
reason why we can't keep the API stable is because early on (before any
of the current committers joined the project) a few unfortunate design
have been made. Now we are facing an unpleasant task of fixing them
while supporting the existing user base. This is not an easy task

> 3. No proper documentation and easy to understand explanation

Allow me to disagree. Some folks expressed opinion that HttpClient had
better documentation than other projects.

http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2003/06/25/commons.html?page=last

This is not to say that documentation could not be better, but we rarely
have people complaining about the quality of support for HttpClient

> 4. No proper examples provided by team to understand API.

Allow me to disagree. See for yourself

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/tutorial.html
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-commons/httpclient/src/examples/?only_with_tag=HTTPCLIENT_2_0_BRANCH

> 4. Security problems may araise

Whenever you venture out of your home you are at risk of being hit by a
bus. Whenever you have your computer connected to a public network,
security problems may arise. What specific security problems that expert
was referring to?

> 5. Takes much memory when compared with Java Net API

Try posting 200MB file with Java Net API and tell me about memory
consumption.

> 6. My code becomes complicated, if I use HttpCLient

Whenever you write code, it can get complicated unless you keep it
simple

> 7. As name it says limited to Http Protocol. - Which is not suitable for multi protocol
> implementations.

This is correct. We have no plans changing that.

> So I need some clarifications from Development team of HttpClient API.
> I hope I get the Positive response from the team regarding all matters what I have mentioned
> above.

I hope that clarifies things a little

Cheers

Posted by "Koundinya (Sudhakar Chavali)" <su...@yahoo.com>.
Hello All,

I appreciate development of HttpClient API.

Anyhow I need to have some clarifications regarding the usage of API.

When I get some problem regarding network program, I have posted the question at
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Java - Currently I am using Java Net API and Socket code
implementation for this.

Some person suggested to use HttpClient for this.

But I get some other answer from another guy and what he says is

1. API is not stable
2. API is flaky
3. No proper documentation and easy to understand explanation
4. No proper examples provided by team to understand API.
4. Security problems may araise
5. Takes much memory when compared with Java Net API
6. My code becomes complicated, if I use HttpCLient
7. As name it says limited to Http Protocol. - Which is not suitable for multi protocol
implementations.

So I need some clarifications from Development team of HttpClient API.
I hope I get the Positive response from the team regarding all matters what I have mentioned
above.

Best Regards
Sudhakar.

P:S - If my question hurts any of the development team, please do not take it personal. Basically
I need you help

--- Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

> [...]
> > >        File f3 = new File("academyRules.xml");
> > >
> > >        System.out.println("File1 Length = " + f1.length());
> > >        System.out.println("File2 Length = " + f2.length());
> > >        System.out.println("File3 Length = " + f3.length());
> > >
> > >        mPost.addParameter(f1.getName(), f1);
> > >        mPost.addParameter(f2.getName(), f2);
> > >        mPost.addParameter(f3.getName(), f3);
> > >
> > >        int statusCode1 = client.executeMethod(mPost);
> > >
> > >        System.out.println("statusLine>>>" + mPost.getStatusLine());
> > >        mPost.releaseConnection();
> > >    }
> > > }
> > >
> > > and for processing file upload i used the following JSP
> > >
> > > <%@ page contentType="text/html;charset=windows-1252"%>
> > > <%@ page import="org.apache.commons.fileupload.DiskFileUpload"%>
> > > <%@ page import="org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileItem"%>
> > > <%@ page import="java.util.List"%>
> > > <%@ page import="java.util.Iterator"%>
> > > <%@ page import="java.io.File"%>
> > > html>
> > > <head>
> > > <title>Process File Upload</title>
> > > </head>
> > > <%
> > >        System.out.println("Content Type ="+request.getContentType());
> > >
> > >        DiskFileUpload fu = new DiskFileUpload();
> > >        // If file size exceeds, a FileUploadException will be thrown
> > >        fu.setSizeMax(1000000);
> > >
> > >        List fileItems = fu.parseRequest(request);
> > >        Iterator itr = fileItems.iterator();
> > >
> > >        while(itr.hasNext()) {
> > >          FileItem fi = (FileItem)itr.next();
> > >
> > >          //Check if not form field so as to only handle the file inputs
> > >          //else condition handles the submit button input
> > >          if(!fi.isFormField()) {
> > >            System.out.println("\nNAME: "+fi.getName());
> > >            System.out.println("SIZE: "+fi.getSize());
> > >            //System.out.println(fi.getOutputStream().toString());
> > >            File fNew= new File(application.getRealPath("/"), fi.getName());
> > >
> > >            System.out.println(fNew.getAbsolutePath());
> > >            fi.write(fNew);
> > >          }
> > >          else {
> > >            System.out.println("Field ="+fi.getFieldName());
> > >          }
> > >        }
> > > %>
> > > Upload Successful!!
> > >
> > > 3. But I could not do the same by making the server and client on different systems.
> > >
> > > 4. Pl. let me know for the same purpose is there any patch available with current version
> released.  i.e.2.0.2
> > >
> > > 5. Is there a way to build Multipart request without putting the Http File Item in the form.
> > >    i.e. dynamically getting the file Items created programmatically at client side and
> > >    passing the Multipart request to the server
> > >
> > > thanks,
> > > Srinivas.
> > >

> > > Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu> wrote:
> > > The Jakarta Commons team is pleased to announce the release of
> > > HttpClient 2.0.2. This release greatly improves the performance of
> > > executing methods where the response contains little or no content.
> > > Please visit the HttpClient 2.0 web site

=====
"No one can earn a million dollars honestly."- William Jennings Bryan (1860-1925)

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

"It is dangerous to be sincere unless you are also stupid."- George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Release of Commons HttpClient 2.0.2

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
Javen

Posted by Javen Fang <fa...@gmail.com>.

--
Javen Fang - www.matrix.org.cn

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Release of Commons HttpClient 2.0.2