Posted to users@tomee.apache.org by cfnz <re...@hill-labs.co.nz> on 2015/09/10 04:08:25 UTC

Java 8 Type Annotations cause error - is that expected?

Hi,

First up, I am new to Tomee and Java 8 too really ;-) (just trying out both)

I have a model which I have started annotating with Java 8 null type
annotations (org.eclipse.jdt.annotation.*)

I have read that Tomee 1.7 supports java 8 so thought I would give it a go.

I found that I got the following error as soon as I introduced one of the
previously mentioned annotations.

WARNING - Unable to scrape for @Stateful, @Stateless, @Singleton or
@MessageDriven annotations. AnnotationFinder failed.
java.lang.RuntimeException
	at org.apache.xbean.asm5.MethodVisitor.visitTypeAnnotation(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.xbean.asm5.ClassReader.b(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.xbean.asm5.ClassReader.accept(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.xbean.asm5.ClassReader.accept(Unknown Source)
etc...

Is this expected behaviour? I know there is a Tomee 2.0 in the works, but I
thought Java 8 features were supported in Tomee 1.7... or is it just that it
can run on a Java 8 runtime?

Thanks for any help
Regards
Colin

Re: Java 8 Type Annotations cause error - is that expected?

Posted by cfnz <re...@hill-labs.co.nz>.
Thanks for that...

Shall try again later.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Ok,

issue is due to a solved xbean issue:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XBEAN-286

upgrading to xbean 4.4-SNAPSHOT makes it working, will try to release xbean
when I get few cycles to upgrade tomee

Romain Manni-Bucau
<http://www.tomitribe.com>

Posted by cfnz <re...@hill-labs.co.nz>.
I am not sure...???

Steps to reproduce...

Checkout eclipse link example: svn co
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomee/tomee/trunk/examples/jpa-eclipselink
cd jpa-eclipselink
mvn test

>> All Good

edit pom, update configuration source and target to java 1.8 and add
following:

		<dependency>
			<groupId>org.eclipse.jdt</groupId>
			<artifactId>org.eclipse.jdt.annotation</artifactId>
			<version>2.0.0</version>
			<scope>compile</scope>
		</dependency>

mvn test

>> Still all good

Edit Movie.java as follows:

	Add import org.eclipse.jdt.annotation.Nullable;
	Add @Nullable annotation to getDirector()

mvn compile

>> Still all Good

mvn test

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

this looks like a classpath missing some dependencies rather than a java 8
issue

Romain Manni-Bucau
<http://www.tomitribe.com>