Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> on 2003/05/15 07:20:25 UTC

Re: svn commit: rev 5943 - in trunk/packages/rpm: redhat-7.x redhat-8.x

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 11:55:57PM -0500, david@tigris.org wrote:
> Author: david
> Date: Wed May 14 23:55:55 2003
> New Revision: 5943
>
> Modified:
>    trunk/packages/rpm/redhat-7.x/subversion.spec
>    trunk/packages/rpm/redhat-8.x/subversion.spec
> Log:
> * packages/rpm/redhat-7.x/subversion.spec,
> * packages/rpm/redhat-8.x/subversion.spec:
>   - The subversion package now requires python 2 because cvs2svn has been
>     unswigified and just depends on python 2.
>   - The new subversion-python package requires python 2.

There is *no* reason for this to happen. If there are v2 dependencies in the
code, then they ought to be removed. If that can't happen easily, then we
should discuss.

But to suddenly change cvs2svn to require Python 2 wasn't intended...

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: svn commit: rev 5943 - in trunk/packages/rpm: redhat-7.x redhat-8.x

Posted by David Summers <da...@summersoft.fay.ar.us>.
On 16 May 2003 kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU> writes:
> > On Thu, 2003-05-15 at 17:31, kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> > >    2. There are RPMs available for RedHat 7.x systems (RH 7.x shipped
> > >       with Python 1.5.2, and that was our main reason for trying to
> > >       stay 1.5.2-compatible, as that's such a big installed base).
> >
> > Minor factual amendment: Red Hat 7.2 and 7.3 shipped Python 2 but
> > installed it as /usr/bin/python2.  So to be nice to those versions of
> > Red Hat, you can try to run Python 2 scripts using "python2" if it
> > exists.  But I'm not sure if it's worth it these days.

I *THINK* that's what my RPMs now do.  If anyone has problems, let me
know.

--
David Wayne Summers          "Linux: Because reboots are for hardware upgrades!"
david@summersoft.fay.ar.us   PGP Key: http://summersoft.fay.ar.us/~david/pgp.txt

Re: svn commit: rev 5943 - in trunk/packages/rpm: redhat-7.x redhat-8.x

Posted by kf...@collab.net.

Posted by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU>.

kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> If we decide it's worth it, I can certainly install Python 1.x on my
> system, and make sure to use that for cvs2svn development, while still
> using 2.x for regression tests.  It would only be an inconvenience for
> me.  But people writing patches to cvs2svn would probably also get bit
> from time to time, adding extra cycles to the patch feedback loop.
>
> Maybe we should just decide that 2.1 is the minimum Python for
> Subversion?  That would certainly simplify things for developers who
> work both on cvs2svn and Subversion itself (& hence the regression
> tests).

Well, Mike P. and I just talked with Greg on the phone about this, and
all felt that Python 2.0 compatibility is enough.  Here's why:

   1. Python 2.0 has been out for 3 years or so.

   2. There are RPMs available for RedHat 7.x systems (RH 7.x shipped
      with Python 1.5.2, and that was our main reason for trying to
      stay 1.5.2-compatible, as that's such a big installed base).

   3. The target audience here is people doing repository conversions,
      that is, administrators of one sort or another.  If they see a
      clear error message from cvs2svn.py indicating that they need to
      upgrade their Python, and telling them where to get it, they are
      unlikely to be daunted by this.

So assuming no objections, I'll add that Python version check to
cvs2svn.py, just like the one we already have in our regular
regression test suite.

-Karl

David Summers <da...@summersoft.fay.ar.us> writes:
> So, if I'm understanding what you are implying, you are saying it should
> just depend on Python 1.x, not Python 2.x?

Well, I might have changed it to depend on Python 2.x, and not known
it.

I wonder how important 1.x compatibility is at this point.  Python 2.x
has been out for almost a year now...  While 1.x compatibility would
of course be nice, how much extra effort is it worth?

Posted by David Summers <da...@summersoft.fay.ar.us>.
On Thu, 15 May 2003, Greg Stein wrote:

> On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 11:55:57PM -0500, david@tigris.org wrote:
> > Author: david
> > Date: Wed May 14 23:55:55 2003
> > New Revision: 5943
> >
> > Modified:
> >    trunk/packages/rpm/redhat-7.x/subversion.spec
> >    trunk/packages/rpm/redhat-8.x/subversion.spec
> > Log:
> > * packages/rpm/redhat-7.x/subversion.spec,
> > * packages/rpm/redhat-8.x/subversion.spec:
> >   - The subversion package now requires python 2 because cvs2svn has been
> >     unswigified and just depends on python 2.
> >   - The new subversion-python package requires python 2.
>
> There is *no* reason for this to happen. If there are v2 dependencies in the
> code, then they ought to be removed. If that can't happen easily, then we
> should discuss.
>
> But to suddenly change cvs2svn to require Python 2 wasn't intended...

So, if I'm understanding what you are implying, you are saying it should
just depend on Python 1.x, not Python 2.x?

   Thanks!