Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> on 2008/08/04 01:30:26 UTC

[server.trunk] introducing mail-library

I'd like to create a mail-library module including everything we
currently have in core-library in the o.a.j.util.mail package.

They are various mdn/dsn (mail delivery notification, delivery status
notification) related classes and are currently used by smtpserver
function, by the DSNMailet (mailets-function) and by
spoolmanager-function (sieve.Action).

IIRC we have no references to this classes in configurations and never
exposed too much of this packages, so we could even rename the packaging.

I'm not sure if "mail-library" (and org.apache.james.mail package) is
appropriate or we should go with something more detailed like
"deliverynotification-library" and org.apache.james.dn package.

Opinions?

Stefano

Re: [server.trunk] introducing mail-library

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
+1 better to make it too specific than too general.

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 12:01 PM, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 12:30 AM, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'd like to create a mail-library module including everything we
>>> currently
>>> have in core-library in the o.a.j.util.mail package.
>>>
>>> They are various mdn/dsn (mail delivery notification, delivery status
>>> notification) related classes and are currently used by smtpserver
>>> function,
>>> by the DSNMailet (mailets-function) and by spoolmanager-function
>>> (sieve.Action).
>>>
>>> IIRC we have no references to this classes in configurations and never
>>> exposed too much of this packages, so we could even rename the packaging.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure if "mail-library" (and org.apache.james.mail package) is
>>> appropriate or we should go with something more detailed like
>>> "deliverynotification-library" and org.apache.james.dn package.
>>>
>>> Opinions?
>>
>> more detailed is good: perhaps delivery-library
>>
>> - robert
>
> In the end I decided for "mailnotification-util" as we now have util module
> type and this module simply contains JavaMail stuff with no dependencies on
> our API layer.
>
> mailnotification seems to be detailed and appropriate as it includes:
> --
> mail-delivery-notification handlers and
> delivery-status-notification utilities.
> --
>
> I preferred this to "delivery-library" because IMHO it was misleading (it
> does not deliver anything, and in a james server contenxt I would expect a
> "delivery-library" to be the one sending messages).
>
> Please let me know if this is ok or you prefer some different name.

sounds reasonable enough

easy enough to change later, if it becomes necessary

- robert

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.