Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by vo...@basf-it-services.com on 2002/04/28 15:28:58 UTC

Antwort: Re: Creating dynamic content using JSP like Tag implementation

Ivelin,

we have for the moment no implementation of a IteratorTag. I thought often
about an implementation and I think that we can implement it similarly as in the
current
JSP Jakarta taglib Implemtierung (http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/). If you
are interested, look at the current CVS "jakarta-taglibs" package
"org.apache.taglibs.standard.tag.common.xml" or the documentation in
"standard/doc/web/XML_ControlFlow_FunctionalDescription_1_EA2.html".
The differences between a Transformer and the SAX Tag implementation is, that it
is more modular and avoid the "if else" cascades in a transformer
implementation.
In our applications we have a lot of application specific Tag, not to much
generic Tag. Generic Tags we have, are Tags like i18n translation, comboboxes
for day, month, year ....

If you like, I can make a suggestion for a IteratorTag implementation based on
the JSP design of the "JSP Standard Tag Library" which uses SAX instead of
Streams ;-) I can also make a proposal for a XFormsTransformer implemented as a
set of Tag's, but for this, I need to have a more detailed look at the current
implementation.

Regards,

Volker

|--------+----------------------->
|        |          "Ivelin      |
|        |          Ivanov"      |
|        |          <ivelin@apach|
|        |          e.org>       |
|        |                       |
|        |          27.04.2002   |
|        |          06:39        |
|        |          Bitte        |
|        |          antworten an |
|        |          cocoon-dev   |
|        |                       |
|--------+----------------------->
  |       An:     cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org                                    |
  |       Kopie:  (Blindkopie: Volker Schmitt/BASF-AG/BASF)                    |
  |       Thema:  Re: Creating dynamic content using JSP like Tag              |
  |       implementation                                                       |

Volker,

After I looked at the implementation of the TagTransformer code, I realized
that it's very similar to the AbstractSaxTransformer class currently in
Cocoon2.

Can you elaborate a bit on the differences and provide a non trivial example
of a tag.
For example how would an iterator tag look like.
If you see the XMLForm namespace tags, the repeat tag works like this:

<xf:repeat nodeset="user/favorite">
  <xf:output ref="url">
    <xf:caption>URL :</xf:caption>
  </xf:output>
</xf:repeat>

If you have time, please look at the XMLFormTransformer in Scratchpad which
extends AbstractSaxTransformer and advise if it could be written more
optimally as a set of tags.

Thanks,

Ivelin

Posted by Ivelin Ivanov <iv...@apache.org>.
Volker,

I don't think that an iterator tag would be of great practical importance
for Cocoon,
but it would be certainly interesting to demonstrate the technique that one
would use
to create a tag which reevaluates its body.

Since many of the tags share similar code in XMLFormTransformer, I am not
sure that splitting it up in 10 classes would be necessarily cleaner.
However I am open to suggestions.